Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DericS
Reel Rookie

Enabling the USB port at the back of the tv

Jump to solution

How can I enable the USB port on the back of my 32 inch JVC tv?

Deric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Enabling the USB port at the back of the tv

Jump to solution

In reality, you must connect the webcam directly to the computer. Even if you could get the webcam to display on your TV, there's no way for the video and audio (remember the webcam also has a microphone) back to your computer for your communications software to use. So there is literally no way for a webcam connected directly to a TV to be used by a computer using the TV as a display. There is no data path for that to happen.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

Enable it for what purpose? I don't have a JVC TV, but the TVs I do have (Roku and otherwise) have USB ports that can be used for several purposes. The can provide USB power (some TVs are powered full time, some power off with the TV, and some have a menu setting that can choose between the two), some can play media from an attached storage device, and Roku TVs permit pausing and replaying watched content (note that this is not the same as being able to record something for later watching, it can't do that). 

So, what are you trying to do?

Dan

0 Kudos
DericS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I amd trying to connect my webcam to the tv. My tv also works as a pc and I would like to get the webcam working

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I don't know of any TV that is capable of connecting a webcam. Some TVs might have them built in, but I am unaware of any that can accept an external camera. And your TV is not acting as a computer. You might be using it as a display for a PC, but the TV itself is not and cannot act as a computer. If the TV has any internal function/app that might work with something like Zoom, then the TV would have to specifically permit the attachment of a camera.

Doing a quick web search for attaching a webcam to a Roku TV, I can't find any information that is accurate. They all reference connecting an IP camera, which is not at all the same thing. Specifically for Zoom, there is no Zoom app for Roku devices, so it's not capable of acting as a Zoom client. Everything references using screen mirroring to send either a phone or computer display to the Roku. But the camera used would have to be connected to the phone/computer, not the Roku.

Dan

0 Kudos
DericS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am sorry missleading somewhat, the tv is used as a pc display. All three HDMI ports work one being connected to my pc. The manual does mention the fact that the USB port can be used to plug in an external device such as the webcam, external drive etc. I have checked through all the settings and can find no option to enable the USB port to accept any device. If the USB port is provided then it should work I would think. If I connect the webcam direct to the pc then it works ok 

Deric

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

In reality, you must connect the webcam directly to the computer. Even if you could get the webcam to display on your TV, there's no way for the video and audio (remember the webcam also has a microphone) back to your computer for your communications software to use. So there is literally no way for a webcam connected directly to a TV to be used by a computer using the TV as a display. There is no data path for that to happen.

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.