Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DumbBunny
Reel Rookie

Device compatibility + set-up?

Greetings, Team Roku ---

[I cannot find the message I sent earlier today, so I will re-try. Maybe lost in the ether. Sorry if I am duplicating.]

I have a "dumb" TV, a Spectrum account, and an AppleTV+ box. Do to my dumb-bunnyness, I do not know why, but Spectrum said that I needed the ATV+ box to get the system to work, so I got one.

I would like to access PBS, MSNBC, and BBC America, none of which I can on Spectrum, but ARE accessible through Roku (I think).

New-to-Roku questions -

1) Is the AppleTV+ device compatible with a Roku device?
2) If so, how are they set up - serially or side by side?
3) In this sceanarion, what Roku device would be a good fit?
4) Will I need separate remote controls for the 2 devices?
5) I see how much Roku devices cost, but not how much the monthly charges are. Can you point me to that information?

I hope you all had a very merry National Fossil Day yesterday. ^_^

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
DumbBunny

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Device compatibility + set-up?

Apple TV and Roku are just two separate devices connected to a TV.  They don’t need to know or care about each other.  Just like any other media devices attached to a TV (Blu-rays, DVDs, cable boxes, etc.) you just plug them into TV HDMI ports and switch the TV to the input you want to use at any given time.  I normally prefer to use the remote for each device but some people prefer various universal remotes.  As long as you avoid Roku “stick” models, then you can use universal (IR) remotes to control them. I don’t know whether Apple devices use IR remotes or something else.  (If “something else” then it will be harder to use universal/third-party remotes.)

There is no inherent monthly charge for using a Roku device.  However, out of the thousands of channel/apps available on Roku, some have fees and some want you to authenticate with a TV provider (such as cable) – however authentication only works for channels that they are already providing – not for adding channels.  Some of the channels you specified will want you to authenticate through your TV provider (which it sounds like you can’t) or set up some TV provider on your Roku.  For example, this site, suggests that “Sling Blue +PBS” would be a package that includes those three (plus 42 additional channels).  I’ll point out though that Sling is also available on your Apple TV device.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.