Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Khenson
Channel Surfer

006 error code

Jump to solution

I'm setting up my new roku and I keep getting a 006 error code. I've tried factory resetting (which idk why that would do anything being that it is a new tv) I've tried using different wifi.. I've tried everything the internet has told me to do. The only thing I can't do is the USB update. Because I don't have a computer or laptop in order to download the update into a USB to put in the TV to manually update it. Please help. I can't return or exchange, as this was a present and the gift giver did not keep the receipt. Please help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 006 error code

Jump to solution

ahhhhh.  Hotspot only.  Try disabling all the other network connections from your other phones etc. Normally connecting with the hotspot is the default go-to since most other problems are with router misconfigurations (which you don't have).

See if you can force your hotspot to connect at 2.4gz only for the setup.  Will be slower but may provide a more reliable transfer of the update.  As long as you are sure the network creds you are entering are exactly what the RokuTV has stored, then I think you have hit a snag that may require the USB update to proceed.

May try this as an alternative route to update the software (no guarantee, just bypasses UGI menus of Roku)

From the Roku Home Screen after connected to your Hotspot,

Using your Remote, Press Home at least 5 times, then FF 3 times, then Rewind 2 times

Select Cycle Software Update Server (just refreshes the Server), then Select Update Software

Just as before, it should look for Update, Select Update Now when given the choice.

The TV should begin update and restart if successful.   

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

If you can still navigate through your menus, go to Settings...System..Advanced System Settings, Network Connection Reset...System Restart

This will accomplish 2 things, reset your network connection and give you a System Restart to clear out any corrupted data.

Try to do software update again.

Error 006 supposedly indicates a verification issue (system failure to verify your Roku during an update)Basically just something going wrong with the update process due to a bad/slow internet connection or dropped network connection as usual cause.  That it why suggestion is made to use alternate network or hotspot. (problem is you are not getting a good or full software update download over the internet, which is why next step is to try any get a manual update via the USB method).

The Factory Reset is also a good idea because it completely wipes out all corrupt data and gives you fresh start.

If it continues, then most likely either 2 things, the Roku Update Server is experiencing a problem(less likely), or your network/internet configuration is experiencing some issues. Internet speed, traffic, etc.  

Khenson
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have never had a problem with my mobile hot spot. Nor my other two phones mobile hot spot. I can run an x box and a small roku (which i no longer have) with my phones wifi. 

I have tried all 3 phones hot spot and I still get the same error code 006. I have factory reset at least 5 times. I don't have a router wifi. But I don't think it's my wifi. I always have 4-5 bars. 

Thus us just getting frustrating. To be quite honest.. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

ahhhhh.  Hotspot only.  Try disabling all the other network connections from your other phones etc. Normally connecting with the hotspot is the default go-to since most other problems are with router misconfigurations (which you don't have).

See if you can force your hotspot to connect at 2.4gz only for the setup.  Will be slower but may provide a more reliable transfer of the update.  As long as you are sure the network creds you are entering are exactly what the RokuTV has stored, then I think you have hit a snag that may require the USB update to proceed.

May try this as an alternative route to update the software (no guarantee, just bypasses UGI menus of Roku)

From the Roku Home Screen after connected to your Hotspot,

Using your Remote, Press Home at least 5 times, then FF 3 times, then Rewind 2 times

Select Cycle Software Update Server (just refreshes the Server), then Select Update Software

Just as before, it should look for Update, Select Update Now when given the choice.

The TV should begin update and restart if successful.   

Khenson
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have tried all the ways you have provided when I first ran into this problem.. I try everything before asking for help 😅 The remote thingy doesn't work because the roku will try to force me to update after I connect to wifi, if I choose not to update then it disconnects from the wifi. It seems my only option is the USB update. I will have to use a friend's computer then I guess. 

Thank you for your time today ❤ I hope your day turns out great 🥰

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

Sure thing. Post back with an update.  Hopefully the USB gets you going.

Jump to solution

A little late to the party here, but - Can you download this update to your phone, and store it where you can find  it?   Then, do you have a USB - phone charging cable?    Could you plug that usb cable into the TV and transfer the file from your phone to the tv?  

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Sorry, but no.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wcchurch

Re: 006 error code - STILL NO SOLUTION

Jump to solution

I have tried all of the following options and still no solution to the problem. Still get error 006 and says please try updating again later. Getting frustrated at this point.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: 006 error code - STILL NO SOLUTION

Jump to solution

@wcchurch

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried connecting your Roku device to another wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same error code message when trying to setup your Roku device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos