Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyeBoyZ

Roku mobile app doesnt work on mobile data

Jump to solution

I connected my TV to mobile data using the virtual remote and it worked, until I shut the TV off and turned the hotspot off, than when I tried connected back when I turn the hotspot on the TV works, but I can't connect the virtual remote and I lost the physical remote and the virtual app won't connect after multiple days

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku mobile app doesnt work on mobile data

Jump to solution

Hi @RyeBoyZ,

Thanks for the first post to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble connecting your Roku mobile app to your Roku device using a mobile hotspot.

In this matter, you can check some steps here that you can try to connect your Roku to a mobile hotspot without a physical remote:

1. Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.
  2. After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds, and then plug it back in. When the Roku starts, it should connect to the hotspot and the internet through the phone. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.
  3. Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.
  4. Now that this second device and your Roku are connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.
  5. Using the app on the second device, set up the new Roku network via Settings > Network > Set up a network using the new network's SSID and password.
  6. When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).
  7. You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

The Roku no longer connects to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. You can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

Please keep us posted on how it works if you device to try these steps.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku mobile app doesnt work on mobile data

Jump to solution

Hi @RyeBoyZ,

Thanks for the first post to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having trouble connecting your Roku mobile app to your Roku device using a mobile hotspot.

In this matter, you can check some steps here that you can try to connect your Roku to a mobile hotspot without a physical remote:

1. Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.
  2. After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds, and then plug it back in. When the Roku starts, it should connect to the hotspot and the internet through the phone. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.
  3. Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.
  4. Now that this second device and your Roku are connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.
  5. Using the app on the second device, set up the new Roku network via Settings > Network > Set up a network using the new network's SSID and password.
  6. When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).
  7. You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

The Roku no longer connects to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. You can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

Please keep us posted on how it works if you device to try these steps.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.