Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dood

Re: Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

13 Pro Max

iOS 16.5

Roku App ver. 9.4.0.6041884.20

roku 4K connected to LG OLED 

>50% battery drain from about 80% to high 20s in about 90 min while using private listening connected to AirPod  Pro v1 

never happened before today. Phone was super hot. Closed Roku app. Phone went back to normal temp. This seems dangerous. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I've had multiple apps on my iPhone cause the phone to get quite warm, including just using CarPlay without any specific app running. And using wireless CarPlay has drained my battery significantly in a matter of an hour (over 20%), again even if I'm not actively using any app on CarPlay. Just the fact it's connected. Since an official Apple function is causing it, I expect the heat generated is within acceptable limits. As to the power drain, again it appears that it's something that Apple accepts for their approved apps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tmuka
Reel Rookie

Dan, I'm sure you're not suggesting this Roku private listening overheating is expected/accepted behavior.  The feature used to work fine without battery drain and high heat, and now randomly doesn't.

I had it happen again yesterday on the latest Roku iOS app version 9.4.0.6041884.20 and fully updated iPhone 14 Pro. drained 50% in under an hour with the screen off. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

No, I don't think it should be accepted behavior. I'm simply pointing out that Apple has a battery drain issue with numerous apps, including some of their own. They may think it's acceptable, but I don't. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
magpie6666
Reel Rookie

Re: Iphone battery drain ios 16 roku app using bluetooth headphones

Can someone look at this?  I'm losing about 10% per 10-20 minutes. The battery usage for the APP is now at 85%

This is a huge problem!

0 Kudos
manc
Binge Watcher

Just bumping this thread again, each night I sit down on the sofa after long day at work, wanting to watch something while the kids are asleep, reach for the headphone, boom! I realise I cant 😞

I frequently check for updates on the Streaming+ stick and mobile app, nothing 😞

So any ETA on the fix Roku?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @Dood 

Thanks for the post in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing with your iOS mobile device. 

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting the Roku Community regarding your mobile device draining battery with the use of the Roku mobile app.

If you haven't already, can you please provide us with the following information:

• mobile device brand, model, and current OS
  • Roku mobile app version and build
  • when did you start seeing this issue occur
  • what are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
manc
Binge Watcher

Hi,

My Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S10+(One UI 4.1 - Android v12)
Roku app version: v9.3.0.1909385 (still happening on new ver = v9.4.0.1996.6808)
Roku make/model: Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X (12.0.0 build 4184-50)
Start date: circa 26 May 2023

To replicate simply turn on in-private listening within the Roku app, occurs with or without headphones plugged in.

Hope you can helps.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @manc 

Thank you for posting here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for providing this information to us. Rest assured that we passed along this issue to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. Once more information is available, we will make sure to update the Community.

In the meantime, your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

If there's anything else we can be of assistance with, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.