Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku devices cannot be found under same internet with bluetooth on

I have Roku’s on every TV connected to the same internet and they don’t show up on my mobile phone app.  The remotes work but they cannot be seen on my iohone.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Roku devices cannot be found under same internet with bluetooth on

@Margie_Kuhn All devices must be on the same wifi.  Check to see if Roku devices are on the 2.4 GHz band and phone is on the 5 GHz band.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There's no issue with the Roku devices and the device with the Roku app being on different WiFi bands (2.4 or 5 GHz) or even a wired connection with a Roku Ultra. They will still be "seen" and allow a connection. I have had an Ultra with a wired connection, a Premiere on 2.4GHz, and my phone on 5GHz, and the app on the phone could see and connect to all of them. Bluetooth being on/off on the app device doesn't matter, as no Roku supports a network connection via Bluetooth.

But the network in question must meet certain requirements. First, the IP address range the network uses must be within what is considered a 'private' network. Most home networks will use 192.168.x.x, with the third digit being anything between 0-254. The final digit must be different from every other device on the network. These address assignments are controlled by what is called a DHCP server, and is most commonly part of the network router operating system. 

The second important thing is the WiFi network must not be using a security function that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices. This is always found in networks operated by hotels, schools, and other semi-public uses. And on networks like that you want that security enabled. On a home network, it's really not necessary and will block things like the Roku app from working.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@atc98092 @Margie_Kuhn Sorry I should have been more clear.  If 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz have different names it will not work.  If the bands are on the same wifi name it works fine.  I have had both situations

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@HDMIGuy wrote:

@atc98092 @Margie_Kuhn Sorry I should have been more clear.  If 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz have different names it will not work.  

My SSIDs are different for 2.4 and 5GHz. No problems connecting regardless of which device is on which WiFi, or even a wired Roku. I've even tested that specifically under those conditions.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.