Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TFTDguru

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

I use private listening primarily with two TCL Roku TVs. This stuff used to work flawlessly. Then I updated my Pixel 3A XL to Android 12 and Roku updated to 10.5.0 build 4210-48 and somewhere in there things broke. Network is Google Mesh (unchanged), and one of the two TV's is in the same room with the main access point/router.

Two different symptoms:

1. When using Private listening through my phone, the Roku app (version 8.0.2.833404), and a wired headphone it disconnects every 5 minutes or so.

2. When starting one of the TVs with the same Roku app and my phone it will toggle private listening ON all by itself, then off without any interaction from me.  << why would it turn itself ON, muting the sound from the TV speaker?

This used to all work, no muss, no fuss, maybe the occasional sound sync issue. The fact that it's all gone to **bleep** points to updates. You cannot expect average consumers to troubleshoot this stuff for you. They are not network and wireless engineers. If it's not plug and play, it's broken.

PapaCh3353
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Streaming Stick+, iPhone X and AirPods Pro. My ISP is ATT. I have had the Private Listening Disconnect issue as long as I’ve had a Roku device and used the app…which is several years now. I’ve come to expect the problem all the time now and realize Roku can’t fix it, even though you all have given them a ton of information. I’m just trying to reset as quick as possible, so I can get back to my program. Last night, I found a quicker reset. It’s not a solution, just a reset.
On the iPhone…Pause the program. Swipe down to the Control Panel. Tap the icons to Turn OFF the Wifi and the Cellular connections. Then tap again, to turn them back on. Go back to the Roku app and tap the headphones icon to make sure they’re reconnected.  Tap the Play icon and resume watching/listening, until it happens again, because it will. Wash/Rinse/Repeat.
I’ll do this until I’m tired enough to buy the Apple TV device, because I doubt Roku can fix the problem. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have another Bluetooth device that was trying to connect automatically.  

I looked at the 'devices available' list in my phone's Bluetooth connections settings and then physically disconnected each device's power one at a time (keeping the ROKU connected) and IT STOPPED CYCLING !  :-). 

My private listening WORKS AGAIN !

0 Kudos
lanza
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agreed. This is Roku's mess and they are unwilling to fix. And they will loose customers for it. SMH.

PapaCh3353
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. I have 3 tv’s with Roku devices. I disconnected each unused device through the Roku app itself by tapping on the 3 lines, then tapping Disconnect Device. So, the only device connected was the one on the tv I was watching. It never disconnected the whole time I was using it. That tells me the issue is with the Roku app. It should be disconnecting each device you are not using once you make your choice. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
SteveinDenver
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The same thing happens to me. I've got a Note 9 running on the Android system and when I have the app open it sometimes goes to private mode automatically when I don't want it to. And then when I want to put it in private mode it randomly comes off. My wife has an iPhone 11 and the same thing happens to her.

0 Kudos
lanza
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

#Roku @Roku FIX THIS please 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SteveinDenver @lanza

Thanks for the posts.

Have you already tried removing the mobile app then adding it back again to see if you are still seeing the issue occur?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lanza
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, a few times to no avail. Private Listening disconnects so frequently by itself that's practically unusable. It's the app, it's not the phone, not Bluetooth connection to the phone. Private Listening should go through whatever sound path the phone is using, even wired headphones or it's own speakers even. There's no reason it should disconnect but manually from the user.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It's your wifi.  It has to be better for this application than most others because the roku is receiving the streaming video and also sending the audio back at the same time with what are essentially half duplex radios.    Try a wifi analyzer app to see if there is interference on your channel and if there is anything you can to do improve the signal.  Mine (iphone) has worked pretty well after doing that.

0 Kudos