Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joedean62
Channel Surfer

Mobile remote app viability

DOES THIS MEAN THAT ALL THE MOBILE REMOTE APPS ARE NOT GOING TO WORK ANYMORE? (last sentence)

Support for sending ECP commands from within a Roku channel application has been discontinued. Channels may no longer include code in their channel application that is designed to issue any type of ECP command. Static Analysis testing has been updated to check channels for ECP commands. Channels that include ECP commands in their code will automatically be blocked from publishing to the Roku Channel Store.

In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications).

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Mobile remote app viability

Sending ECP commands from within a Roku app running on a Roku device is not the same as sending an ECP command from an external non-Roku device.  It's not a new limitation.

Where did you find any statement about ECP not being allowed from 3rd party platforms?  That doesn't make any sense.  If not from 3rd party platforms, then what good would ECP be?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@renojim 

I believe it was from here. https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/dev-tools/external-control-api.md

There is a line that states "In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications)."

There was also a couple of older questions in the Developer forum that didn't really seem to make it any clearer. (at least to me).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
renojim

Ah, I do vaguely remember that.  I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.  I only use a few ECP commands, but they're still working for me.  I guess it's the "3rd-party platforms" part I don't get.  I use cURL and maybe it's different somehow?  They may be trying to kill off the numerous paid Roku remote apps that sometimes upset people that think Roku is charging for them (and are totally unnecessary if you ask me given Roku has an official app that's free).

joedean62
Channel Surfer

That's a good way to get **bleep** apps.  One vendor blocks out all others.  Should Roku be the only one we can discover content from?  

0 Kudos
renojim

@joedean62, I don't follow you; I feel like I must be missing something.  How does not allowing ECP  from 3rd-party platforms affect discovering content?  I can understand people with Roku remote apps that were making money off of people that didn't know there was a free Roku app being upset, but that's about it.

0 Kudos
joedean62
Channel Surfer

This video demos an app I am working on.  I can see Roku's position that any app on your network having control of your TV could be problematic, but they should offer a program for developers that implements security.  They should embrace this.  There is huge revenue potential.

https://veamcast.com/veam?ownerid=cedf76f6ca144855b8e3c7b67b68e3c2&packageid=628f38cb0d7e4e8f8543840...

0 Kudos
renojim

@joedean62, thanks for sharing.  Looks interesting, but it seems that anytime Roku opens up their devices to external apps they get burned by some douche bag that takes over a Roku device with some kind of scheme to show ads or otherwise make the douche bag money.  I'm sure it's easier for them to just ban such uses than to implement some kind of security.  A better place for this discussion is probably the developer section where I see you've also posted.

0 Kudos
joedean62
Channel Surfer

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.