Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to watch Roku Channel shows and movies on my phone

Jump to solution

Does roku have an app so we can see our list of channels and watch movies on our cell phone? If not, why not? Is this type of app in the works? I would pay a monthly fee if necessary. 

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to watch Roku Channel shows and movies on my phone

Jump to solution

Hi @RigidTexasMeat,

Thanks for the inquiry.

We currently have a Roku mobile app and The Roku channel mobile app. The Roku channel mobile app is a free application for iOS® and Android™ designed to let you enjoy all the great content from The Roku Channel on your mobile device.

For future reference, here's how you can install The Roku channel mobile app and Roku mobile app:

We hope that's helpful.

Thanks,

Mary

Additional topics that you might find helpful:

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Hettar7 

The connection to the same network is for using the remote portion of the app. Roku has recently combined everything into a single app, but it looks like the support pages aren't updated.

You can watch The Roku Channel content via the Roku app on your mobile device, regardless of where you are.

Of course, this only applies to content accessible via The Roku Channel. If you're talking about the separate apps installed on your Roku -- think Netflix, Hulu, etc -- then you'd naturally use those apps from the app store for your mobile device, not Roku.

Using Netflix as an example, if you had an Android, you'd download the Netflix app from the Google Play Store and watch it that way. If you had an iOS device, you'd download the Netflix app from the Apple App Store and watch it that way. Roku wouldn't come into play.

The-Roku-Channel-on-web-close-up

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RigidTexasMeat,

Thanks for the inquiry.

We currently have a Roku mobile app and The Roku channel mobile app. The Roku channel mobile app is a free application for iOS® and Android™ designed to let you enjoy all the great content from The Roku Channel on your mobile device.

For future reference, here's how you can install The Roku channel mobile app and Roku mobile app:

We hope that's helpful.

Thanks,

Mary

Additional topics that you might find helpful:

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hettar7

Re: Roku movies on cell phone

Jump to solution

Your reply is not at all helpful or, in fact, accurate. What you link to says you can watch roku "on the go" yet when you read the article it says in order to use the app you have to be connected to the same wireless network that your roku device is on. .... if i have to connect to my home internet why would i bother to watch something on the app on my phone instead of my large screen tv at home? I want to watch roku channels while i'm away from my home network. Information on how to do that, if possible, would be helpful.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Hettar7 

The connection to the same network is for using the remote portion of the app. Roku has recently combined everything into a single app, but it looks like the support pages aren't updated.

You can watch The Roku Channel content via the Roku app on your mobile device, regardless of where you are.

Of course, this only applies to content accessible via The Roku Channel. If you're talking about the separate apps installed on your Roku -- think Netflix, Hulu, etc -- then you'd naturally use those apps from the app store for your mobile device, not Roku.

Using Netflix as an example, if you had an Android, you'd download the Netflix app from the Google Play Store and watch it that way. If you had an iOS device, you'd download the Netflix app from the Apple App Store and watch it that way. Roku wouldn't come into play.

The-Roku-Channel-on-web-close-up

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Mia3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok. I am unable to watch the roku channel on my iphone. The only thing I can do with the iphone is select the show and then the iphone becomes the remote for my tv. I cannot actually watch the shows on my iphone. Somehow I need to add the iphone as a device but have not figured out how. 

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Mia3 

Which iPhone do you have?

What is the OS version?

You see, you don't need to add your iPhone as a device to watch Roku Channel on your iPhone. The Roku app on your iPhone IS the Roku Channel on your iPhone.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Mia3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the iPhone 11. 15.5 is the software version. I am unable to watch the shows on my iphone. The iphone just becomes the remote for the tv. 

Which app do I need? All the ones I see in the app store are the remote control ones. 
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mia3

Thanks for the post.

Are you clicking on the Roku Channel selection on the bottom of the app?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mia3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So I tried what was suggested. I borrowed a friend’s phone to video the results so it would be understood what I am trying to say. Unfortunately I cannot post the short video. The suggestion did not work. I went to the Roku channel on the Roku app. I clicked on a show and the remote showed up. I can only use the app as a remote for the tv. Is there a different app that allows me to go to the show? Too bad I can’t show the 36 sec video.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mia3

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried disconnecting the mobile app from your Roku device? If you can provide us with the video to demonstrate the issue you are seeing, it will allow us to better understand what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos