Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chuckls3

How to block Roku phone remotes?

Jump to solution

If the app is on someone else's phone, I can't uninstall it. Can I block the app control altogether from the TV itself?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to block Roku phone remotes?

Jump to solution

Hi @chuckls3,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. Please be advised that there is a Control by Mobile Apps setting on your Roku device that, when disabled, prevents the Roku mobile app and any third-party app from communicating with your Roku device. When this setting is disabled, you must use your Roku remote. Please follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced System Settings.
  5. Select Control by mobile apps.
  6. Select network access.
  7. Choose Disable if you do not want a third-party app to be able to control your Roku device.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @chuckls3,

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. Please be advised that there is a Control by Mobile Apps setting on your Roku device that, when disabled, prevents the Roku mobile app and any third-party app from communicating with your Roku device. When this setting is disabled, you must use your Roku remote. Please follow the steps below:

3. Select System.
  7. Choose Disable if you do not want a third-party app to be able to control your Roku device.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RokuEuniceL wrote:

Please follow the steps below:

3. Select System.

@RokuEuniceL, @chuckls3 -

As far as I can tell, this procedure only prevents NON-ROKU apps from controlling the Roku.

To confirm, I followed these steps on both a Streaming Stick 3600 and a Streaming Stick 3821, and in both cases the official Roku app on my Android phone still controlled the Roku.

A third party android Roku remote app from Spikes Labs was still able to locate all Rokus on my home network and would appear to connect to them.  But no commands from this non-Roku app produced any response on the Rokus.

@RokuEuniceL- please share this information with your fellow moderators.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@chuckls3-

Anyone with the official Roku app on their mobile device will be able to control your Roku, if it is connected to the same local network as your Roku.  If this is someone to whom you wish to have access to your network, there doesn't appear to be much you can do about it.

Otherwise, all you can do is get them off your network by changing your network password and/or network name (SSID), and not reveal these changes to them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And if they are just guests, many routers and gateways can let you set up a guest network that is isolated from your home network.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If someone is messing with me with my TV how do I block the app 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Coolhandluke1,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for letting us know!

We will be delighted to assist you further. Could you elaborate more about your concern?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
UnseeableSniper
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It doesnt work. Ive disabled it and im still ablento do it even with my own phone remote? How the **bleep** does a roku setting not **bleep**ing work?!! Im getting pissed that others can connect to it whenever the **bleep** they want FIX THIS

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @UnseeableSniper,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. That's not what we aim for. Also, thanks for the troubleshooting steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

However, here's another troubleshooting step you can try:

1. Launch the Roku mobile app.
  2. In the lower right corner, select Devices.
  3. Select the device that you want to remove by tapping this icon ***
  4. Then select Forget device.

Please keep us posted on how it goes this time.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos