Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cyberbiker

Connecting Smartphone and Smart TV Roku Apps

The Roku apps on major smart TV brands obviate the need for a separate Roku dongle connected to the TV; however, across the Internet, it seems people are having trouble connecting the smart phone Roku apps with the smart TV Roku apps, even though both are signed into the same Roku account.

Though connected to the same WIFI SSID, the iPhone Roku app will not connect with the Samsung QLED TV Roku app, even if I manually enter the IP address of the Samsung TV on the iPhone Roku app. It seems that all the help files refer to an IP address on the Roku device. However, major brand-name smart TVs have their own Roku apps, which don’t have a separate IP address.

It’s easier to search for videos and add them to the Roku watchlist using the smart phone Roku app, them to open the Roku app on the Smart TV to actually watch the videos.

Has anyone found the secret to connect the smart phone and TV Roku apps?

The image are the frames from the iPhone Roku app to manually connect to the Samsung QLED TV unsuccessfully.

Image.png

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Smartphone and Smart TV Roku Apps

There are three requirements for the Roku app to connect to a Roku device. First, they must both be on the same network. That doesn't mean they both have to be connected to the same access point, or even using the same radio band (2.4 or 5GHz). Second, the network must be using an IP address range that is within the IANA specified as Private. Most home routers use a private IP address range by default, but I have encountered routers that someone changed the IP address range to something considered Public. The Roku app will not work on a public IP address network. The final thing that has to be correct is the WiFi network must NOT be using a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing other devices on the network. This is common in hotels, dorm networks, or public networks found in stores and coffee shops. If it's enabled on your home network, then no WiFi connected device can see anything on your local network, regardless if it's wireless or wired. 

My guess is the third option is the cause of your lack of connection. If this is your home network, then check your WiFi access point (usually your home router) and look for that security setting. If you're using any sort of shared WiFi (apartment complex, work, hotel, dorm) then you're never going to be able to use the app to control your Roku TV. 

However, now that I've gone through all of that, I see your real problem. The Roku app will not and cannot control the Roku Channel app on a non-Roku TV. You can only use your Samsung TV remote to control the apps installed on your TV. There is no way the Roku app can control an app on a non-Roku TV. And the same would apply to any other app installed on your Samsung TV. The Samsung remote is the only way to control anything on that TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Connecting Smartphone and Smart TV Roku Apps

@Cyberbiker I agree with the last part of the post by @atc98092 .  Your Samsung TV is not a Roku device it just has the Roku Channel installed.  You can not use the Roku app on your smart phone to control the Roku Channel.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.