Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cghV

Can’t find roku express on iPhone app

Jump to solution

My roku express is not showing up under devices on the iPhone app. It was before when I was at home. I’m away working in a remote location and there is public wifi. I can see someone else’s Roku but it’s not mine. It will even let me connect to it. I tried manually connecting with the ip address, didn’t work. I’ve restarted, reset and updated. Nothing works. 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Can’t find roku express on iPhone app

Jump to solution

IP addresses are assigned by the router so your Roku won’t have one until it is connected to the local Wi-Fi.  Your phone won’t be able to connect to the Rou until the Roku is on the new Wi-Fi.  If you plan to travel, taking the remote makes life a lot easier because it has a trick to connect to Roku even before it’s on the network. 

If you know the SSID and passphase of the LAN that the Roku used to be connected to.  You can set up a Wi-Fi Lan that matches, and the Roku will connect to that.  This can be either on the new router or on a phone hotspot.  If you go with the phone hotspot, then you will need ANOTHER phone that is also connected to the first phone’s hotspot which will then be able to connect to the Roku.  Once you have that working, you can use it that way, or use the 2nd phone to connect the Roku to the new Wi-Fi.  (Like I said, just bringing a remote is the simpler way to go in the future.)

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@cghV, some Wi-Fi networks, especially public ones like at hotels, are set up with "client isolation" so that connected devices can't communicate with each other.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

IP addresses are assigned by the router so your Roku won’t have one until it is connected to the local Wi-Fi.  Your phone won’t be able to connect to the Rou until the Roku is on the new Wi-Fi.  If you plan to travel, taking the remote makes life a lot easier because it has a trick to connect to Roku even before it’s on the network. 

If you know the SSID and passphase of the LAN that the Roku used to be connected to.  You can set up a Wi-Fi Lan that matches, and the Roku will connect to that.  This can be either on the new router or on a phone hotspot.  If you go with the phone hotspot, then you will need ANOTHER phone that is also connected to the first phone’s hotspot which will then be able to connect to the Roku.  Once you have that working, you can use it that way, or use the 2nd phone to connect the Roku to the new Wi-Fi.  (Like I said, just bringing a remote is the simpler way to go in the future.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
cghV

Jump to solution

Both the phone and the Roku are on the same wifi network. The only one available. The wifi address is valid. I did bring the remote but the app is a lot easier and more options 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@cghV, some Wi-Fi networks, especially public ones like at hotels, are set up with "client isolation" so that connected devices can't communicate with each other.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.