Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richcar101
Reel Rookie

Roku Legacy Quad HDMI not loading correctly

I have a Legacy Quad HDMI. When I switch from the Tablo app. to Roku home page it does not load right. Sometimes it does not load all the apps but the tiles will be there and sometimes it is a black screen with some of the words scattered around and if you keep scrolling the apps that are there some of them will appear randomly. I have no idea what is going on. I have deleted and reloaded the Tablo app and rebooted the Roku. Most of the time after rebooting the Roku it loads the home page normally.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Legacy Quad HDMI not loading correctly

I can't find any documentation on any device named the Quad, so no idea what it actually is. However, any player that is considered Legacy is no longer supported, so it should not be surprising if functions no longer work. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Tablo’s website really wants to sell you their latest device, but I found the Quad HDMI here:

https://us-store.tablotv.com/products/tablo-quad-hdmi-over-the-air-dvr

I assume “legacy” refers to the Roku?  Do you have a model number?

Tablo seems to have a history of buggy software.  However, there is also this:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Issue-Tracking-Board/Channel-tiles-missing-from-Home-Screen/td-p/91073...

So maybe it’s not Tablo’s fault?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Thanks @Strega2 for that information. So, it's not a legacy Roku device? Or is it? You shouldn't have used the word legacy in the title without stating the model Roku you're using. 

But that said, it does sound more like an issue with the Tablo app/channel, and not a Roku device itself. As mentioned, Tablo doesn't have a great track record for software development. Since the Quad HDMI is capable of connecting directly to a TV via HDMI, it sounds like you don't need to use the app on a Roku device to watch your content. Unless of course you're trying to watch it from a different TV than the one that is connected to the Tablo device. I have a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun network tuner myself, and it's located in the garage near my TV antenna for the strongest signal. But I don't record on the HDHR itself, instead using a HTPC as the recording device and storage location. The HDHR app for Roku isn't as good as the same app on Android devices, but both work just fine for watch something using the tuners in the HDHR, including the ATSC 3.0 channels we have in our local broadcast area.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Tablo has a community forum where you can ask questions and get help from Tablo and users, similar to here.

https://community.tablotv.com/ 

0 Kudos
TonyE
Channel Surfer

Dan, that's not a helpful answer at all.

We're running into a similar problem.

Three Roku Ultra, two Tablos on the wired intranet at home...  in the Roku hooked up to the Den TV (an LG 77CX) while watching the Tablo over the Tablo app over the network, ( Roku's are wired via HDMI directly to their respective TVs ) sometimes we'll lose the connection to the Tablo and then the Roku dumps us on the home screen except the icons for the applications are not displayed.We get the menu items on the left column of the screen but the apps GUI menu is blank.  We can reconnect to the Tablo because I have it programmed directly to one of the dedicated buttons in the remote.

To regain the GUI in the homescreen we have to pull the power (it's hooked up to the AC adaptor).

This is not an acceptable solution.  If the Tablo is misbehaving, then the Roku should behave in a robust manner and return to its main menu.

BTW, another snippet..  Recently our LG updated its firmware ( don't ask WHO allowed that to happen ) so now on power up, the Roku is not triggering the TV to select to its HDMI interface.    I've verified the menu connections that allow the TV to accept the command from the Roku.   The Roku has not been changed.    

So, what we have here is a quality problem in how these devices are updated.... why can't they just leave them alone?  I'm not into updating devices that work correctly.

Anyhow, we still have the issue that the Roku will not refresh the GUI home screen when it loses the connection to the Tablo.  Neither the Tablo nor the Roku have been updated.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

This is best answered at the Tablo forums. There are some known problems with OS 12.5 and Tablo, but Tablo have made some changes to help on some models.

https://community.tablotv.com/ 

0 Kudos
TonyE
Channel Surfer

Tablo problem?

As I wrote, we have THREE Rokus and TWO Tablos.

Only one of the Rokus does this.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

If it also does it on Netflix, Paramount+, MAX, and Prime, then it’s probably a Roku problem.  But when it does it on one company’s app, then it’s usually that company’s app.  Even if that company’s app has found a bug in the platform, it will be up to that company to narrow down the bug and report it.  (And then they’ll probably code around it rather than waiting for an OS change, since the latter can take a while on any platform.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The bug that Tablo discovered is a memory leak when video is streamed in a certain way. Some models are more affected by it than others. They  have worked with Roku on it so Roku is aware and hopefully it will be fixed in OS 13.

This is a link to the thread about the latest Roku update from Tablo.

https://community.tablotv.com/t/tablo-roku-app-4th-gen-update-v-0-8-500/34291 

Also, can you list your Roku models, particularly their model numbers. You can get the number by going to Settings/System/About, then right-arrow to the full list. The same name is used for different models over the years (just like cars), so some versions of a particular named Roku may work differently.

0 Kudos