Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmatczak

Dumping Roku for something better

Is anyone else dumping Roku and getting some other device going forward? I had been a fan, with 4 Roku devices including a TV and 3 streaming devices. Now I find that they are no longer supporting some of the most popular apps like HULU and want me to buy newer models that they will support the apps on. Since the apps work fine on these devices now, it's clear this is just a ploy to make more money off us loyal customers. No thanks. There are plenty of other streaming devices that I can chose without being strong armed into buying them like Roku is doing. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Dumping Roku for something better

You should see the web browser on my first personal computer.  Oh, right, there isn’t one. (Also true of my second, third, fourth and fifth personal computers.)  Technology keeps on moving on.  You can change brands along the way if you like.  If whatever device you have is considered obsolete, then it’s a safe bet that whatever you buy, same brand or not, will be “something better”.

0 Kudos
JjgrmMD
Channel Surfer

You could dump Hulu instead. Just sayin.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

The Rokus have had longer lifetimes that most mobile phones and laptops, and certainly more longevity that competing streaming devices. An AppleTV or Fire Stick of the same age will also not support the modern Hulu app. In fact, the older AppleTVs didn’t support Hulu at all.

Roku is the most generous with software upgrades and longevity of support. They also have a generous discount for loyal users with obsolete devices, at https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

It ok to be mad that you need to upgrade, but that’s not Roku, it’s the whole industry. Among other competitors, Roku requires the least money to stay up to date.

0 Kudos
willir64
Binge Watcher

What you said is true but Roku doesn't listen to it users base and we are tired of it.

0 Kudos