Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dforrest0
Reel Rookie

Need power adaptor for 2012 Roku 3 streaming device

Jump to solution

I have an old Roku 3 streaming player. It has worked fine til now; the light won't power on.  The power cord nor the unit get warm when plugged in to different outlets.  The power adapter that came with the unit is model AAW-00.  Roku accessories store does not have the appropriate cord.

What should I look for in replacing the power adapter?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Need power adaptor for 2012 Roku 3 streaming device

Jump to solution

Hello! @dforrest0,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your Roku device. We're pleased to assist.

The device you are using can no longer support the most recent features. This means it will no longer receive new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. You can keep using your Roku player to stream the channels you currently have. However, you may lose access to some channels over time as those channel partners make updates.

If you haven't already upgraded your device, you should have received an email with offers to purchase a new player at a discounted price. You can also access this offer by signing into your Roku account and visiting the following website here.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @dforrest0,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your Roku device. We're pleased to assist.

The device you are using can no longer support the most recent features. This means it will no longer receive new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. You can keep using your Roku player to stream the channels you currently have. However, you may lose access to some channels over time as those channel partners make updates.

If you haven't already upgraded your device, you should have received an email with offers to purchase a new player at a discounted price. You can also access this offer by signing into your Roku account and visiting the following website here.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@dforrest0-

While I agree with @RokuArjiemar re the Roku 3 not being comparable with the current product line, per this Roku Developer page, Roku 3 is still being supported by Roku and still receives Roku updates.   There could be some more recent channel apps that rely on features and capabilities added in later models and so won't run on the Roku 3, although I don't know of any.   I gave a friend my old Roku 3 and when I visit him I am struck with how much slower and non-responsive it is than my current Rokus.

In your situation I'd opt for an up to date model, but if you want to pursue a replacement power supply...

No current Rokus use the same non-USB power adapter as came with the Roku 3.  Roku's accessory page only lists the current Ultra adapter, so you'd have to find a Roku 3 equivalent somewhere else.  Per this post Roku 3 needs an adapter putting out 12vdc at 1.0 amp.  (Higher amperage is OK, the Roku will only draw what it needs.). It connects to the Roku via a 4.0mm x 1.75mm barrel connector.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
All47verses
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi, @dforrest0 . The actual dimensions of the Roku AAW-00 power supply's barrel connector are 3.0mm outer dimension and 1.1mm inner dimension. An outer dimension of 4.0mm will never fit. (I have an AAW-00 in front of me right now, and just re-measured it.)

My Roku 3s (all model 4200) have all been upgraded to OS 13, and they work fine except for some glitchiness with the YouTubeapp. Roku has not announced dropping support for the Roku 3.

That said -- yes, the Roku 3 is underspec'd if you want faster Wi-Fi or 4K video. It's also old enough that support could be reduced (no new OS upgrades) in the future. If you can't find a supply with the right specs cheap, what for a new Roku on sale.

Good luck!

@All47verses 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@All47verses wrote:

My Roku 3s (all model 4200) have all been upgraded to OS 13, and they work fine except for some glitchiness with the YouTube app. Roku has not announced dropping support for the Roku 3.

That's par for the course. Google has zero interest in making their apps on Roku devices work well on the older versions. YouTube was the first app/channel that became unusable on my original 2 XS. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to searchpost your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.
Additional Resources
Check out our support articles for more content.