Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnary
Streaming Star

What's Wrong with My Feed?

Jump to solution

Everytime I try to updated my feed, I get the dreaded, "The server returned an unsupported content type. Was expecting 'application/rss+xml', 'text/xml', 'application/xml' or 'application/json' but received 'text/html'" message.

I've validated the feed and made sure that content type is set to application/json in the header.  You can see the feed at:

http://foundfootageroku.42web.io/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/fff-roku-feed-08-05-22.json

Thanks for any insight you may have.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnary
Streaming Star

Re: What's Wrong with My Feed?

Jump to solution

Holy Toledo, it works!  Thanks so much for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The message you posted is related to your earlier post: 

I use Amazon S3 as my CDN.  When I first started to upload feed files, I would get this message.  I believe I solved it by adding metadata to the upload process.  I needed to add a key of 'content-type' with a value of 'application/json' while uploading the file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

That's a great tip. I'm in my new Amazon S3 bucket now. I've added the metadata and made the file accessible to the public. Which link do I use for Roku Direct Publisher? The object url gives me a 403 error. When I use the long url with the credentials, the feed url accepts it but it causes errors on the feed status. 

Thanks so much for your help. This has been a real process.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Make sure the bucket is "public".  Click on the feed file to show its info.  On the bottom right, you should see 'object' url'.  That's the url you should use.

Consider using Amazon CloudFront to cache your feed file and content.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Holy Toledo, it works!  Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos