Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Video description and title truncated and/or extra characters

Using Direct Publisher to build a channel.  I noticed that the video title and/or description seems to be truncated.  Is there a limit to the number of characters?  Also, it appears that Direct Publisher may be adding an extra character.  I see a vertical bar ("|") in some of the strings.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Re: Video description and title truncated and/or extra characters

"Baradanikto" wrote:
Using Direct Publisher to build a channel.  I noticed that the video title and/or description seems to be truncated.  Is there a limit to the number of characters?  Also, it appears that Direct Publisher may be adding an extra character.  I see a vertical bar ("|") in some of the strings.

There is a limit to the title, but I do not know how many characters it is, the description however is documented to be limited to 500 characters, I limited my descriptions to 450 to be safe. Also any and all control characters such as chr$(13) (linefeed carriage return) will mess up inside of direct publisher. You have to filter them all out. I posted in this forum an full explanation of that. It's titled "Limitations of Direct publisher".. https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 36#p554336
You should read the post it will probably answer alot more questions you have or will have. I just got my first channel published today, YIPPEEE.. Now i have about 8 more to work on due to direct publisher limitations...
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Thanks for the reply.  However, I'm not sure about the limit you posted.  Looking at the MRSS feed specifications shows that the limit is 200 characters for the description.  

I'll take a look at your other post.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Ok, there is a difference in the limits depending on your feed file.  JSON seems to be 500 characters, while MRSS is 200 characters.
0 Kudos