Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
detuli
Visitor

Custom Authentication in Direct publisher

Hi,

I am new to Roku Development Framework, and found Direct Publisher to be a great tool to develop Channel without any coding. I am planning to create a Private Channel, but need to have it authentication based. Every user will have a user name and password (much like Netflix). Is it possible to use Direct Publisher with custom authentication?

Thanks in advance for your time on this.
Deepak
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Custom Authentication in Direct publisher

Direct Publisher does not currently support authentication services or account personalization. Such functionality may be added in the future, though.
0 Kudos
bwschulz
Visitor

Hey don't worry about paid subscribers being authenticated - that sounds like too much trouble. Apparently someone in high enough authority has an easy solution to that pesky security question. It was the same one users in the early 90s devised to make their file folders easy to open for their coworkers - just Share the whole C:/ Drive with Access All set to Full. This saved countless hours of work and boosted productivity everywhere we find resources with full access to the root directory because one user, service principle, or application interface had programmers who ignored every IC3 or Cyber Command memo since conFlicker II or ghostnet or Zeusbot32 ... the schulz
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

"bwschulz" wrote:
Hey don't worry about paid subscribers being authenticated - that sounds like too much trouble. Apparently someone in high enough authority has an easy solution to that pesky security question. It was the same one users in the early 90s devised to make their file folders easy to open for their coworkers - just Share the whole C:/ Drive with Access All set to Full. This saved countless hours of work and boosted productivity everywhere we find resources with full access to the root directory because one user, service principle, or application interface had programmers who ignored every IC3 or Cyber Command memo since conFlicker II or ghostnet or Zeusbot32 ... the schulz

In the early 90's we used Novel for networking commercially and lantastic for person networks, neither had the security issues windows and linux have today.. It's almost shamefull..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Before the 80's there wasn't any public mass-available internet and we didn't have any viruses.  I suggest we go back to using the telegraph and handwritten letter with relay rider networks to communicate - it was so much more secure and would create a lot of jobs.  Not to mention back then the global human population was half as much as it is today.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
Before the 80's there wasn't any public mass-available internet and we didn't have any viruses.  I suggest we go back to using the telegraph and handwritten letter with relay rider networks to communicate - it was so much more secure and would create a lot of jobs.  Not to mention back then the global human population was half as much as it is today.

You forgot about USENET eh? That was part of the internet since the early 1970's.. Remember Al Gore Championed the expansion of the internet into what it is today, prior to that we were happy with text messages, bmp, tiff files etc etc in message formats... And we did have viruses, they were mostly just what we called "nuisance viruses" in that they did no real harm to an end user and were mostly used to show a programmer that their work was far from "bullet proof". I started out on a teletype machine connected to the university of PA Mainframe through rubber couplers at I believe 150 baud... By 1981 we were running our own portion of the internet as a email service, UseNet hub through our TRS-80 Model 1 (dual 360k floppy drives and a whole 4k of RAM) BBS Called Garage BBS.. By the mid 80's we had 50+ IBM Xt's connected together with Lantastic and about 45 phone lines coming in to share the internet with our users. God, the stories I could tell of staying up for days and nights at a time coding our way through the to become what we are today.. Fun times miss them immensely, that was a time when we did it for the passion not the money..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos