Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Unreported Changes to Json Schema

To all channel developers:  You should be aware that Roku has occasionally made updates to the Json schema without notifying us, it's channel developers.  It's happened again.  It appears that the 'bitrate' field in the Json schema is no longer required and has been removed from the schema.

Roku, please consider, once again, my request to allow us to subscribe to the Json schema document so that we are notified when changes are made.  Without knowing when you change the schema, we run the risk of trashing our channels so that they no longer work.  That benefits no one.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Unreported Changes to Json Schema

A bit off the path, but I have a question for those who keep pretty much the same json feed url, but simply replace the host file. How do you know the new json feed is valid to Roku DP?

For instance, I used to always submit a new feed url. I kept my filenames but date, so like 20190704.json, then 20191231.json, then 20200418.json. And each one a new url to submit (ie.  www. mysite.com/jsonfeeds/20200418.json) and if anything in the code was wrong, I would get the error when submitting it. Also of you seem to keep the same url (www. mysite.com/json/channelfeed.json) and just replace the coding on that file. But how do you know it passes the schema test?  jsonlint etc only gets your so far?

Trying to change up my pattern on this as with the recent Vimeo issue it seemed to cause a glitch when submitting a new json url.  Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@37mediagroup  I think the weakness in your approach is relying on a linter for validation.  As you may be aware, the software I wrote not only performs a lint function, but, it also validates a feed file for any logic errors (ie. missing required fields, etc.).  Additionally, I use the following methodology when making changes to a feed file.

Prerequisite: I created an identical test (private) channel for testing changes to my feed file.  This uses a separate feed file which is a copy of the production feed.

• Open my test feed and make any changes.
  • Submit the test feed and preview the changes on my Roku.  If necessary, make changes to the test feed file and repeat.
  • Once I am satisfied with the changes to the test feed file, I make a copy of the test feed and name it the same as my production feed.  I then upload the production feed to my server while preserving its original name.

The above procedure was, at one time, very quick.  However, something changed in the way Roku processes test channels.  Prior to the change, updates to a test file were instant.  Now, they are subject to the same refresh requirements as a production channel.  I've complained about the time lapse for test channels, but, it fell on deaf ears.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

I've used your software and its good. In fact it was great to code out a 'Series'. Generally tho once something is built out like a Movie or Episode, I find it quicker to just copy & paste from the built out item, rather than go thru the steps again each time.

Even still, doesn't quite fully answer the question.  Let's say by pure mistake I upload the file as a .txt not .json (I forget how yours names them by default), or lets say something suttle is missing or Roku changes its mandatory requirements before you update it.  Just saying in general. I think one workaround would be to submit it as a new URL, but never save it & just cancel out after its approved.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The software was designed to make it easier for you to create and update your feed file without worrying about syntax errors or errors of omission.  Copy and paste is error prone because it tends to propagate an existing error.

Have you tried the copy function within the software?  It was designed to make it easy to add a new item based on an existing one.

If you have any suggestions as to how to improve processing, please pm me.

0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

> vimeo 

Has the vimeo issue been resolved? I have yet to get HLS vimeo links to work.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

My channels back up. I did have to resubmit the json feed url.  Didn't have to, just did in on a whim when someone else mentioned his changes went thru. A few hours later it came back online. No word from Vimeo or Roku that it's 'officially' fixed.

0 Kudos