Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rafaelm
Visitor

Unable to publish using MRSS feed

Hello, I am having trouble adding a Direct Publisher Channel using the following MRSS feed:

https://github.com/rokudev/feed-specifications/blob/master/mrss-feed-specification.md does not mention a shortFormVideo element.
The media:content duration of the MRSS feed is also greater than 0.
What's wrong with the given feed?

Any help will be appreciated,
Rafael
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to publish using MRSS feed

It looks like you're trying to use a feed file from another system (Apple TV?) to create your channel.  As such, the feed file does not conform to the Roku MRSS spec.  Take a look at some of the samples on the forum, or the Roku documentation.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
rafaelm
Visitor

Hello Baradanikto,

Thank you for the reply.
I tried with different feeds and I am getting the same error.
For example the following feed is very simple and I get the same result.

w3c feed validator.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Rafael
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Rafael,

Please compare your feed sample with what the MRSS spec expects.  Your sample is not compatible with the spec.  For example, your 'pubDate' does not conform to the spec.  The Roku MRSS spec seems to be less forgiving, so, you really need to pay attention to what it expects.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Hey Rafael,
In order to have an MRSS feed the following components must be there:
   Channel

Item
        guid*
        pubDate*
        media:title*
        media:description*
        media:category*
        media:keywords*
        media:thumbnail*
        media:content*
Everything with a star has to be present.  Just using the URL of the video will not get anything in a direct publishing channel.
I fought with a that when I first worked on my first channel.  You have to have a lot more than just the video.
Please reference :  Roku MRSS Feed Specs
0 Kudos
rafaelm
Visitor

Thank you very much for your help.

I was able to successfully upload a feed.
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Outstanding!!! Congratulations!
0 Kudos
Durango2018
Visitor

Ive searched this forum and the Roku documentation - can someone point me in the right direction, or explain (I'm not a programmer) how I use my JW Player feed for my Roku app using Direct Publisher?  

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/v2/playlists/J ... ormat=mrss

Errors:  

item has an error: No valid items were found in the feed: validate

3 items have error: Required content duration missing or invalid. Duration must be greater than 0.
3 items have error: Thumbnail could not be downloaded.
3 items have warning: Optional shortFormVideo tags is missing or invalid.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Durango2018...you have the same problem as the original poster of this thread.  Your feed file does not conform to the Roku MRSS spec.  You'll need to pay strict attention to what the spec accepts before you can publish your channel.
0 Kudos
rafaelm
Visitor

"tim1607" wrote:
Hey Rafael,
In order to have an MRSS feed the following components must be there:
   Channel

Item
        guid*
        pubDate*
        media:title*
        media:description*
        media:category*
        media:keywords*
        media:thumbnail*
        media:content*
Everything with a star has to be present.  Just using the URL of the video will not get anything in a direct publishing channel.
I fought with a that when I first worked on my first channel.  You have to have a lot more than just the video.
Please reference :  Roku MRSS Feed Specs

Hey tim1607,

According to Roku MRSS Feed Specs the media:title, media:description, media:thumbnail, media:category, media:keywords are optional elements, why does Roku require them ?

Thanks,
Rafael
0 Kudos