Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzachary
Streaming Star

My Channel is blank.

My channel is currently blank on my Roku. Others can see the channel and content but for me it loads blank. The issue started with My CDN going doing temporarily and my feed failing. After fixing it the feed comes back with no errors, everything in the dashboard seems ok, the web preview shows content, etc. I have no idea if this is just an issue with me or if it is happening to other users as well. 

Very frustrated with the lack of debugging tools and the timeframe it takes for the channel to reflect updates and content. 

At this point I'm stuck with no options left and I don't know if the issue is resolved or not. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: My Channel is blank.

How long has it been since you updated the channel?  The time to ingest channel updates can take upwards of 6+ hours.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

3 days.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Do you see anything on the channel?  Search icon?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

I see my background image, logo and just a search icon and info icon.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

If anything, it sounds like your tags for Categories arent being read. I think theres an option for 'Tags In Json Feed' or something, or jjst enter them into the channel submission process in the Categories field. 

0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

Ah, i think you pinpointed it.

Currently, I am using the "from feed" option for 

*How do you want to define categories for this channel?*

So i switched it to the other option where I can manually add them in. Each category worked except for my Live events one, it gave a really generic error about the tag, so i went in to the feed and changed the tag, and now it accepted it.

I think now I can revert back to "from feed" and it will appear.

0 Kudos
Coligreens

I just added my channel to roku and it came up blank. When I went back to the main menu of roku I saw that I had 2 channels with my logo. One works perfectly fine. the other is blank. Im publishing from vimeo.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@jzachary You should not have to define the categories using the developer portal.  They do work from the feed file.  I am not a fan of specifying categories within the developer's portal because you now have two locations to maintain for your channel: the developer's portal and the actual feed file.

As for Live events, make sure you specify a valid start and end date for the event.

0 Kudos
jzachary
Streaming Star

yes, i've defined from feed, and i've always used start and end date. it's worked fun up until recently where it just stopped working.

0 Kudos