Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedRoad
Streaming Star

Hero row and Catagories will not upate

Quick backstory...I had paid a guy named Phil Autelitano to build me a roki channel. He ran off with my money and never helped. He did have an ebook that told you how to direct publish one so I taught myself as I was on a deadline. For the most part I do okay but I always run across something stupid. This weeks stupid question.......

I edit my json file in Atom. I then upload it to Amazon s3 bucket and then go into Roku and update feed. For the last few days I have been trying to change it to hero row and edit columns within Roku but it never updates on my channel. When I look at the preview button after I publish it, it looks like it works but yet it never updates. Any help? Yakoke!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Hero row and Catagories will not upate

First, let's start with the obvious.  Are you sure your feed file validates in the developer portal?  Assuming it does, what do you mean by: "edit columns within Roku"?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
RedRoad
Streaming Star

Sorry I know my being a novice I don't word thing correctly. My channels are working fine. So I went into the "Manage my channel" section at developer.roku and changed the style to hero row and then went into columns section and made them custom. However, neither will update on my channel. I tried on my Red Road TV and Dr. SEC TV Network.

New Project (2).jpg

0 Kudos
RedRoad
Streaming Star

Also, here is my feed if it matters https://redroad.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/thered3

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I took a look at your play list and categories.  It does not appear that you have them set up correctly.  Some of your play lists do not contain valid feed item IDs.  Your categories that are based on tags does not contain a valid query.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
RedRoad
Streaming Star

Okay so bigger issue....As I looked closer, whenever I upload videos or make changes like Hero row, it will show in the unpublished channel but it is not uploading to the published channel. Here is json but it ingested everything and shows up in unpublished correctly. http://www.redroadtv.live/wp-json/tv/roku/

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The second feed file you posted contains some subtle issues.  I'm not sure they will cause you problems, but, I do know that the Roku developer portal does not do a good job at identifying errors that may cause your channel to fail.  So, what I found was:

• You have empty Series and TV Special objects.
  • Your 'releaseDate' fields are not compliant with the Roku Json schema.

Again, I don't know if that's enough to cause your problem(s), but, I would suggest you eliminate any potential problem areas first.

0 Kudos