Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting around Roku's limit of 40 videos per row or category with Vimeo Pro

I've got to be missing something here.

In Vimeo Pro, the only way you have to categorize your videos when working with Roku Direct Publisher is by adding "tags" to each video . Those tags need to share keywords found in the different categories you've created in RDP.

For example, instead of creating a "Sports" category in RDP, you would create a football, basketball and tennis category. Then in Vimeo you use those same tags; football, basketball and tennis for the corresponding videos.

My problem is that every single video gets added to every single category when viewing my channel on Roku. Even though I've only added one tag to each video. Which means I'm stuck at 40 videos max.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Getting around Roku's limit of 40 videos per row or category with Vimeo Pro

It's tough to say with ppl using VImeo to spit out the json, seems alot of intricacies to it. Would you mind posting the feed or a quick version of it with at least 1 video, you can xxxxx out the title & video url if you'd like. If you need to host it seperate try using myjson.com.

With that said, try searching this board for vimeo as others have posted occasionally about it. I recall something that you can't use videos within subcategories on Vimeo's end or something. Could that be a factor?  Lastly, it may be best to include both categories & tags in the json feed, and, as a failsafe enter them thru the RDP submission also if they don't show. Although I think there's a checkmark for 'I've added my tags in my feed" or something as well. 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

As @37mediagroup stated, there have been several Vimeo users complaining about the Roku support provided by Vimeo.  You should consider maintaining your channel feed without using Vimeo as the feed generator.  You can still host videos on Vimeo, but, using an external tool should provide you with more control.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
CM-B
Reel Rookie

Hello @Baradanikto 

I am currently creating showcases with Vimeo and using #VideoFeedBuilder.com to create the feed for multiple showcases. However, as I am populating my showcases, I realized that only 40 videos are showing per showcase. Would you mind listing what options to maintain the channel outside of Vimeo

Thank you

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@CM-B There are a few channel developers (like me) who are offering software solutions to help manage your channel development.  Some are paid, and, some are free.  A simple search of forum posts should provide you with those who are offering their services/products.  Information is typically provided in the signature line of each post.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
SonjaD
Reel Rookie

Is there a way to contact you specifically? I am way new to this, I am wondering when using this software do that mean I need to upload videos into it? Maybe I should download it and see, it seems using the JSON is the way o go but with the little I've seen online, I'm thinking this may be over my head. 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Users of my software can contact me through the website listed in my signature below.  To report a problem, open the Issues tab and create an "Issue".  To ask questions, or, discuss the software, open the Discussions tab and start a "Discussion".

If you're new to Roku Direct Publisher, you should take a look at the tutorial.

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

SonjaD,

He's a good guy. I used his software (and its legit btw) to create & add 'Episodes' and 'Series' to my already existing (haphazard) coding, as it was challenging to write & decipher by hand. It worked really well for it.

Also, no you don't upload the videos into it, it simply asks for the URL to each video. It's mostly data entry, then spits out a json file, something like Notepad. It's a bit meticulous, data entry, alot of hitting Tab & Enter for things like Name/URL/Thumbnail URL/Created Date/Runtime etc...

raety348

I am presently growing showcases with Vimeo and the use of this website to create the feed for multiple showcases. However, as I am populating my showcases, I realized that handiest 40 films are showing according to showcase. Would you mind list what alternatives to maintain the channel outdoor of Vimeo

0 Kudos
sattun
Roku Guru

Hi @raety348 

The 40 video limit is on the Roku Direct Publisher side not Vimeo Showcases.

Roku Direct Publisher allow up to 40 videos in one category and up to 25 categories, we have a custom roku app that has no limits on the number of videos and it works great with Vimeo pro.

For more info DM me or go to https://ottfeed.com/roku.

Cheers

OTTfeed: Lease a custom Roku SDK for $99/month go to https://OTTfeed.com/lease
0 Kudos