Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

Generate Direct Publisher JSON feeds with Wordpress

Download on the WordPress plugin repository  (100% Free Plugin)

UPDATED v1.3.1:  

• NEW:  Updated Series system

• NEW:  Amazon Fire App Builder JSON feeds

• UPDATED:  Closed Caption Support

• UPDATED:  UI to be more friendly

• FIXED: Error with TV Specials not displaying in some cases

Coming in 1.4 - MAJOR update to the HTML5 player including Embedding, Better VAST support and updates to the HLS engine.

I've spent the last few months quietly getting this plugin together.   It is currently awaiting approval from WordPress, but I wanted to post it here so I could get some qualified feedback.

A few notes:

1. Install the plugin like any other WordPress plugin

2. It currently only works with Movies and Short Form Video content.  I will be adding support for more in the upcoming versions.   Now works with Short-form Videos, Series and TV Specials.

3. Instructions can be found in WP Smart TV > Settings > Help Documents > View All Documentation

4. This does not work with YouTube videos, and no I can't add support for it.  It's against their T.O.S.

5. Tested with Vimeo Pro and Amazon S3/CloudFront.  Should work with most video hosting options

6. WP-Engine (and possibly other hosts) will sometimes block images from the Roku DP system.   Enable Jetpack and turn on "Speed up images and photos" or disable "Mod Security" in Apache.

7. I'll update this post when it is in the WordPress plugin director and I will answer any questions in this thread
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
ashokiptv
Visitor

Re: Help me test my Wordpress plugin for Direct Publisher feeds

Wow Nice Work. Ill test it and provide my feedback
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

"ashokiptv" wrote:
Wow Nice Work. Ill test it and provide my feedback

Thanks!   I'd love to hear any feedback you have.  Btw, the plugin is now officially in the WordPress plugin repository.   I updated the OP with the links.
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

Rats!  I just tried to install it on my Wordpress site and I got the following error:

"Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home1/NAMEOFMYSERVER/public_html/NAMEOFMYWEBSITE/wp-content/plugins/wp-smart-tv/lib/rovidx-smart-tv-shortcodes.php on line 117"[/color]

I'm running version 4.8.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

"johnary" wrote:
Rats!  I just tried to install it on my Wordpress site and I got the following error:

Rats indeed!   My bad, I'll fix it for the upcoming patch that should be out before Monday.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

"johnary" wrote:

1.1.0 should fix the issue.  Let me know if you run into other ones.
0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

It seems to be working now.  I will keep testing it and let you know how it goes.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
johnary
Streaming Star

I have added three movies to my channel.  I looked at the JSON file it generated and checked it out with JSONLint.  Everything looks good but the Feed Status on the Manage My Channels Roku Dashboard tells me that it is "Unable to download from feedURL."  Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

Shoot me a pm with your Wordpress URL and I'll take a look.
0 Kudos

"johnary" wrote:
I have added three movies to my channel.  I looked at the JSON file it generated and checked it out with JSONLint.  Everything looks good but the Feed Status on the Manage My Channels Roku Dashboard tells me that it is "Unable to download from feedURL."  Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

You might have to turn off ModSecurity on your Apache setup on your webhosting account.  If you check your error logs you will probably find 406 Errors.  The Roku Servers don't pass the header information when connecting to your feed so ModSecurity stops the connection.  Turn it off and you should be fine.
0 Kudos