Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donp88
Channel Surfer

Re: Category Titles Above Videos

"apsrmusic" wrote:
Hey not sure this is the right forum for this? but my catagories hangs up in my channel editing page? It ALWAYS stays red no matter what i do.. heres the screenshot

what do i need to do? this prevents me from publishing my channel when finished editing! and when i try to add a catagory it alwasy reads invalid no matter what options or boxes i check?

Send me your feed and I'll check it out and see what is going on with it.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

I found regardless of my feed, the Roku DP Publishing checklist required me to add Categories, and their respective Tags into the checklist anyway.  Make sure you are adding both Categories AND Tags in, and not leaving the field blank. . 
0 Kudos
Jose_Rivera
Visitor

I this there is a bug on the Roku web site because I can't fint a way to fix this categories, I try every posible way and does not work. The only way I fix it was by creating categories on InstantTVChannels and telling Roku Website not to use the categories from Roku but instead use the categories from the InstantTVChannel.
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

I am still waiting. Any fix for this yet?
0 Kudos

Jonathansafa, send me your feed link.  My categories are working just fine.  Here is category example from my working feed file:

"categories": [
       {
           "name": "What's New This Week",
           "query": "WhatNew",
           "order": "most_recent"
       },
       {
           "name": "Your Community VNA",
           "query": "CVNA",
       }
   ]

Make sure in each item has a tag element that corresponds to a category, for example:
  "tags": [
     "CVNA"
  ]

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
Jonathansafa, send me your feed link.  My categories are working just fine.  Here is category example from my working feed file:

"categories": [
       {
           "name": "What's New This Week",
           "query": "WhatNew",
       },
       {
           "name": "Your Community VNA",
           "query": "CVNA",
       }
   ]

Make sure in each item has a tag element that corresponds to a category, for example:
  "tags": [
     "CVNA"
  ]

Hope this helps.

Hey there, the categories are showing up - it's just that they are really hard to see. There is a white background, and the labels are basically white - even though in the "Branding" section I have "Text Color" set to "Dark." 
It's the strangest thing. Thoughts? 
0 Kudos

This MIGHT be a bug with Direct Publisher.  I will test it out tomorrow.

You might be forced to just use a dark color/image as your background for the text to show up.  If you do end up using an image for your background be sure to use a color overlay to mute detail in the image and help the text pop.
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
This MIGHT be a bug with Direct Publisher.  I will test it out tomorrow.

You might be forced to just use a dark color/image as your background for the text to show up.  If you do end up using an image for your background be sure to use a color overlay to mute detail in the image and help the text pop.

I think it most likely is a bug in the DP. 
But that means so many channels would be affected by this? And I'm hardly seeing it in the forums.. so strange..!
Also, is there a way to increase the size of these Category labels? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos

There has been some mention of this in previous threads:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=102543

Direct Publisher is fairly new with not as large an adoption compared to the current SDK or SceneGraph.  Also, most channels use a dark background so most users aren't even aware of the bug.

There is no way to increase the font size.
0 Kudos
donp88
Channel Surfer

Step 1 - enter your JSON feed and select "Specified in Feed" option then save.
Step 2 - Go to categories and select "From feed" option and then save.
Step 3 - Go to Feed Status and hit the Refresh button 
Step 4 - Wait 3 to 10 minutes then hit the Refresh button again
You should either get a message for invalid feed or a green check mark that the feed is good to go and ready to publish or update.
0 Kudos