Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meglean33

Roku will not power on - white light flashing

I have a roku express box. It was working earlier as I was watching Television. I left for an hour came back and I turned on the TV. There is no picture, but a white light in the front of the box is flashing. 

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Z06
Roku Guru

Re: Roku will not power on - white light flashing

Have you tried unplugging your Roku for 30 seconds and plugging it back in?

0 Kudos
meglean33

I have unplugged the power connection multiple times each time for 30 seconds. I also unplugged the HDMI from the TV for 30 seconds and tried plugging into different HDMI ports. The light is no longer flashing, but still do not have a picture on my screen. 

Z06
Roku Guru

Do you have another TV you can plug it into? What is the model number? How long ago did you purchase it? 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @meglean33

Thanks for the post.

These are the most common reasons you may not see the picture on your TV:

1. You have the wrong input (source) selected on your TV
    • This is extremely common and an easy mistake to make. Most TV’s have several video inputs on the back or side of the TV that are used for connecting different devices such as a cable box, gaming console, and of course, Roku player. You must select the input (sometimes referred to as source) that matches the one to which you have the Roku player connected.
  2. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty
    • Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, then make sure it is firmly connected to the HDMI connector on your TV.
    • If you can, check to see if you have a faulty cable by connecting your Roku player with a different cable.
  3. There is a problem with the TV
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.
  4. There is a problem with the USB power adaptor, or the adaptor does not meet the requirements
    • It is possible your Roku player is not receiving enough power, even if the power light is on. This happens sometimes if you connect your Roku player through a third-party device with a USB/AC power adaptor that does not meet more recent USB standards. Try a different power adaptor or try plugging your Roku player directly into a power source.
  5. If all else fails…
    • Disconnect and reconnect all cables including the power cable.

For more information, feel free to visit this link: What to do if you cannot see the picture from your Roku® streaming player on your TV

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
drobinson94
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue and the box keeps flashing and my screen says roku but it won’t go to the Home Screen and the light is continuously flashing . I’ve tried switching the cables . Nothing works

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@drobinson94 wrote:

I have the same issue and the box keeps flashing and my screen says roku but it won’t go to the Home Screen and the light is continuously flashing . I’ve tried switching the cables . Nothing works

What do you mean when you say your "screen says Roku?" Is the bouncing logo displaying? Or is the TV simply stating that you've switched to an input that's been labeled as "Roku?" And if the latter, what's displaying on the screen?

And what do you mean by "tried switching cables?" HDMI cables?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
drobinson94
Channel Surfer

yes the bouncing roku label is only showing. yes I have switched hdmi cables and that didn’t work either 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@drobinson94 

I'm a little confused. You've said "label" a few times, but now I'm thinking you're talking about the Roku logo, not the label that appears on many TVs when you switch inputs. Or are you referring to both?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
drobinson94
Channel Surfer

yes I am talking about the roku logo. It just stays on and doesn’t revert to the home page. 

0 Kudos