Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

roTextScreen for firmware 4.3 or newer - should I use this?

(first post!)

I'm working on a simple RPG that will have a lot of text from time to time, and while I haven't yet tested different methods, I found roTextScreen which sounds promising: "...displaying large amounts of scrollable text..."

My concern is that since this only works on firmware 4.3 or newer, should I avoid it?

By using roTextScreen, would I limit myself to only people who have the latest Roku models? Or do older Roku boxes get firmware updates and thus pretty much everyone has 4.3 or newer now? Is this a legitimate concern?

Thanks for any insights.

Ben

PS - I've messed around with setting the theme details for text color, background, scrollbar, etc, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change the color of the little border around the text itself, it stays white/grey. Is it possible to change this color?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roTextScreen for firmware 4.3 or newer - should I use th

roTextScreen works in v3 of the firmware. I can't remember when it was added, but I know it works.

Can't help with the theme/color issue.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The number of devices with unsupported features is insignificant to the power of the dark side... You can still include a firmware version check or eval before using any newer components until the older units die out.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

In roTextScreen on firmware 3.1 only SetText(string) works not AddText(string) so keep that in mind. Also, I believe SetBreadCrumbText doesn't work on fw 3.1 for this screen.

If you don't see a theme setting for the Border it probably doesn't exist.

A better approach would be to use roImageCanvas for text display where you have more control, or use roScreen where you have even more control over the screen.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"destruk" wrote:
until the older units die out.

Which might not be for quite a while, usage is back up from around 350k active units (i.e. video streamed in last 30 days) to 500k actively used legacy units.

Many more legacy units are powered on, connected but are not being used.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Thanks for the responses. Glad to know roTextScreen works on older units (mostly). I still may indeed use roImageCanvas and roScreen for more control, I was just hoping to get away with maybe using roTextScreen since it's already set up quite a bit the way I would like. We'll see.
0 Kudos