Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speechles
Roku Guru

9.1 Firmware disables capturing * when music plays ???

WHY?

I get it with video. I totally get it. The focus is on the video player. But with audio OMG are you all mad? This is crazy! 

You CANNOT have my * button when music is playing. I am using * to control overlays on these other music screens as the music plays in the background. You have now robbed me of that button Roku. Why was this change made? Who can I speak to about giving control back of the * to developers?

Why when music plays does pressing * now bring up this ridiculous OPTIONS menu with simply volume mode and accessibility? Neither of those has any impact or use when playing music in apps. 

We also use an audio player to play theme music. Now while that music plays we cannot use the * button like normal on our detail screens.. crazy..

@RokuDale @RokuTannerD @RokuDanny-R @RokuKC @RokuEtAl

Do any of you have an answer? How quickly can this change be reverted? Help.. please... You are our only hope. The fate of the Roku ecosystem depends on allowing us to use buttons on the controller rather than buttons a user must navigate to onscreen. Please help.. again this is in your best interest to listen.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: 9.1 Firmware disables capturing * when music plays ???

I can still use * while my game music is playing, maybe because I'm using roScreen?
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: 9.1 Firmware disables capturing * when music plays ???

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/references/scenegraph/component-functions/onkeyevent.md

The behavior of the Roku Options overlay has been modified, such that the Options overlay now slides in whenever the Video node[/size][/url:15o8f377]"roUniversalControlEvent" and reacting to keypresses. You will using OnKeyEvent and watching for press and key. With OnKeyEvent this inability to intercept the * key is supposed to only happen with the Video Node. Roku? You got some explaining to do.. Care to explain why it now also affects audio?
0 Kudos