Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

Re: roImageCanvas TargetRotation issue with Text being cut o

I'm sure they have enough to do but is there any way I can get this escalated within Roku engineering? 8-) If they tell us they don't want to fix it thats another story. I guess not enough people have complained... considering Roku is meant to be played on a TV - not a trade show display or for digital signage. I'm pushing the limits. 🙂
0 Kudos
murphesi

I haven't looked at any of the updated Roku code to see if this issue still exists, but I guess from your experiments @crawfishmedia that it still exists. Roku devs...anything? I've been using an external server to general an image that has the text rotated for me for the past year. It would be nice to have this working!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

The easiest and quickest fix would probably be to switch to using the 2D API instead. Using it, you could create the text on a bitmap, then rotate it before drawing it to the roScreen. I don't know how complex your screen layout is, but figuring that out would almost certainly be a lot faster than waiting on Roku to release a firmware update to fix text rotation on the roImageCanvas. Just my opinion...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

Boner achieved!

screen = CreateObject("roScreen")
port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
screen.SetMessagePort(port)

fontRegistry = CreateObject("roFontRegistry")
font = fontRegistry.GetDefaultFont()

bitmap = CreateObject("roBitmap", {width:1280, height:720, AlphaEnable: true})
bitmap.Clear(&h000000FF)
bitmap.DrawText("Credit: Full Name (username)",0,0,&hCBCBCBFF,font)
screen.DrawRotatedObject(128,70,270,bitmap)
screen.Finish()

Now I have to completely code my own slideshow handler instead of roCanvas or roSlideshow. Happy we resolved this but angry about the workarounds that have to be done.
Thanks!!!
0 Kudos