Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SolveLLC
Visitor

"Package File" from developer page

I see the option to download the "Package File" from the developer portal. The resulting file is a zip, however the file can not be correctly decompressed. What exactly is the purpose of these files?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: "Package File" from developer page

0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

I'm talking about the Roku developer portal (https://owner.roku.com/Developer), not packaging a file after sideloading. It gives you three options, downloading the SD and HD poster and "Package File". The resulting file is a ".zip".
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"SolveLLC" wrote:
I'm talking about the Roku developer portal (https://owner.roku.com/Developer), not packaging a file after sideloading. It gives you three options, downloading the SD and HD poster and "Package File". The resulting file is a ".zip".

The zip file extension is a little misleading, but if I'm not mistaken, it's the exact same encrypted package file you uploaded for publishing (which was originally a zip pre-encryption).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

Thanks Endless. I'm wondering why that package would be useful.
0 Kudos
agmark
Visitor

Ironically I asked this very question several days ago. I'm told its only there in case you need a backup and can't be unencrypted. I'd much prefer a zip file that could be unencrypted using the package password, but that's not the case. It would have come in handy when I was at a location without the most current version of a channel and wanted to make some modifications.
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

"SolveLLC" wrote:
Thanks Endless. I'm wondering why that package would be useful.

If you click 'delete channel' by mistake on the channel store, then it'd be useful when setting up the channel in the channel store again, as you wouldn't need to repackage it.
You would also need that pkg file to re-key the roku you are working with (after renaming the .zip you downloaded to .pkg)
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

I agree that being able to download the unencrypted source would be much more useful.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If you develop a channel for a client, and you don't have an agreement in place to grant them access to the source, you wouldn't want them to be able to simply download and unzip your package file from their developer account.

Make sure you keep your source code backed up along with your DevIDs and passwords and package files.

- Joel
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

I develop code for others, them downloading the code really isn't a problem, that's what contracts are for.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.