Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Can't run channel" error message

I started getting this on my Roku 3 (fw 6.2.3467) today:

[spoiler=transcribed:xzhv070q](i) Can't run channel
'PuzzleArt' could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again.
  • Check network

• Cancel
[/spoiler:xzhv070q]
It would show this message when i try to start some of the games on account. Here is a list of the ones that fail with this funny message (funny because it's instant and the network is fine):
  • Angry Birds

• Angry Birds Space

• IQ Test Evolution

• Puzzle Art

• Red Card Rampage

• Storm in a Teacup

• Super Stickman Golf

• You Don't Know Jack Lite

The rest of the 58 channels do start, although many (most) do the "Loading..."-from-network channel-cache thing. Restart does not change the outcome. Running "Update" brings every time "Adding 'World Famous Places Puzzle'" %-progress dialog which supposedly finishes but that game does not show in the lineup.

I was not trying to wedge the player (honest). Interestingly it is only games but no other type of apps. And it is only some of the games and not all of them. All games worked before. Currently, these work:
  • 2048 Challenge

• 2048 TV

• Bubble Wrap

• FlipFlop

• GandK Reversi! Lite

• Knights Tour

• Mazes

• Mouse About

• Nikoli Sudoku

• POLYGANIC

• Retaliate

• Rogue

• SEQUENCE

• Tangrams

• Tetris

• Texas Hold'em

• XElevation

PS. The common thing seems to be about NDK-ish (non-BRS) games clogging some non-channel-cache resource, so that when 7-8-9 of them have been run on the player, no further NDK-ish games could be run. Removing sequentially from the channels in italic above seems to address the message and allow me to start the "non-working" games, till it clogs again. The gunk seems not to come from a particular title but to gather incrementally
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: "Can't run channel" error message

Perhaps this is related to the persist file system issue we talked about a couple weeks ago. Can you send me the serial number of this unit?

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

will do.

should be easy to reproduce by starting around 9 of the non-BRS games listed (painted in red above) on a Roku 3.
0 Kudos

I have exactly the same issue since today. Please let me know what to do.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Michael-Accra" wrote:
I have exactly the same issue since today. Please let me know what to do.

First step of course is restarting the player and see if that fixes the issue. Which i doubt it will. Adding SD card won't help you in this particular case nor factory reset, the issue will re-appear when all apps from account get downloaded.

So... next step: start deleting Roku games from the player (which ones did you got installed there?) and see when the issue disappears. No sweat if you purchased some of them - you can later re-download for free.
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll try that. Of course I tried to reset first, but that didn't help.
0 Kudos

It's working again! Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Michael-Accra" wrote:
It's working again! Thanks for the help.

Do you have a list of the games you had to delete by any chance?

(i am trying to assemble a list of usual suspects and it's not too easy, since i have no access to inside information;
but let me disclaim: some of the games are innocent, others not so much)
0 Kudos
Mforth
Visitor

I get this message when I try running Hulu and Sling
0 Kudos
tooci
Visitor

Same thing is happening to me. I only had 15 channels! I deleted some and got down to 11, but the problem is still there. Is there really not an *actual* solution?! What a waste of money!
0 Kudos