Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahusa7
Visitor

playing a list of TS segments

I have multiple ts segments of 4 seconds each and want to play them one after another e.g. testseg0.ts, testseg1.ts, testseg2.ts etc on Roku. I tried roVideoPlayer, and used set content list. However, this had breaks after every segment. I need the segments to play sequentially and seamlessly. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: playing a list of TS segments

I'm imagining you would have to do that on the server side, but I have no idea how you would approach it.
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

ts segments should be delivered through a m3u8 playlist?  They are not valid standalone video types.
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
mahusa7
Visitor

Thank you for the tips. Wondering if it is possible to create an m3u8 file using brightscript on Roku as a hack. Unfortunately, we don't have m3u8 support on the server side. And, it would be a big development task. Any work around would be helpful.
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

unreal.  Smiley LOL
In theory you could create an m3u by hand and save it as a local file, then load it as the playback URL. Good luck.
0 Kudos
mahusa7
Visitor

Thank you. Tempted to try that. Plan A is to store a m3u8 file in tmp folder. I plan to write the segments to the file. The segments are 4 seconds each. So, hope it works for live videos as well. 

Plan B is to create an intermediate server that will receive ts files and create the m3u8 files. 

Any guidance on better plans, support on Roku for plan A, and options for intermediate server would be helpful.
0 Kudos