Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

model #'s

Dear Roku,
Its really not fair we need to rely on theEndless to answer questions like this. I should be able to look this up and he should be able to spend his time answering important things.
Thank You,
squirreltown

That being said, what exactly will ifdeviceInfo.Getmodel return for these models - the HDMI stick and the TV(s)?
most of the non-legacy models seem to have "X" at the end, not sure about these. Don't own these so have to ask.
Thanks
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: model #'s

If you check out Amazon items, you get a feel for various models out there. I believe the stick is 3500.

Also this wiki page for lots of info including model #s:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

The letter definitions at the end of model numbers were posted on the General forums a while back:

R means retail
X means online
EU mean Europe (UK, Ireland)

Thus, they can be generally ignored.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thanks Komag, but those pages are precisely why I'm asking what the roku itself outputs. For instance I have a roku3 (4200) and an original 2XS (3100)
the devinfo out put for those devices is 4200X and 3100X respectively. I need to know exactly because I have an app that needs to do different things based on the different boxes.
More RAM, openGL, etc.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

So I just recently ordered a refurbished Roku 1 2710XB

I assume the B means "refurBished"?

I recently was dealing with that as well, and took EnTerr's advice and implemented a little performance test:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77087

Here is my version:
FUNCTION setGS() ' trig by Main(1) near top
'gS = 2 ' Base "Game Speed" for slow Rokus
timer = createObject("roTimespan") ' For measuring performance
FOR _ = 1 TO 1e5: END FOR ' Speed test code from EnTerr
IF timer.TotalMilliseconds() < 30 THEN gS = 1 ELSE gS = 2 ' Roku 2 XS 3100X: 19-21ms. Roku HD N1100: 39-43ms
' Sometimes I get something higher though, such as Roku 2 XS getting 45 or Roku HD getting 73, dunno why
' So it's not always perfectly reliable
di = CreateObject("roDeviceInfo")
rModel = di.GetModel()
? rModel " is the model, Game Speed (gS) set to " gS " as timer is " timer.TotalMilliseconds()
RETURN gS
END FUNCTION
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
The letter definitions at the end of model numbers were posted on the General forums a while back:

R means retail
X means online

C. Shawn Smith

Are you saying that when I do

if devinfo.GetModel() = "4200X"
and it returns TRUE
the X is being ignored?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

"squirreltown" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

R means retail
X means online

C. Shawn Smith

Are you saying that when I do

if devinfo.GetModel() = "4200X"
and it returns TRUE
the X is being ignored?

That I don't know. But the differences between R and X should make no difference, as they're the same unit. R/X should only matter to how the device was sold.
(*Edit* Sorry, wording this wrong ... I think you are correct, but it's been a long time since I asked about this previously, and don't fully recall the conversation. Joel, Mark, or someone else will have to chime in to ensure I'm accurate)

"Komag" wrote:
So I just recently ordered a refurbished Roku 1 2710XB

I assume the B means "refurBished"?

Er, possibly. I'd have to check into that though, as this is the first I'm hearing of XB.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Maybe it's just something Amazon came up with:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7Y ... UTF8&psc=1
0 Kudos
DaBronx
Channel Surfer

The "B" seems to indicate a refurbished unit with other model numbers too, 3100XB googled shows refurbed R2 XS units, 2710XB shows refurbed R1 units, 3500XB shows refurbished sticks.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

While waiting for someone who knows, I searched the forum and found one reference to 3500X (HDMI stick) and a dialog between theEndless & RokuJoel & EnTerr that seemed to end with the position that all TV's will (now) return 5000X.
would be really helpful to confirm this.
thank you.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos