Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

[fixed] ifGetMessagePort doco needs update

Documentation of ifGetMessagePort only mentions GetMessagePort() method but that does not exist for roScreen on fw3. Instead there is getPort().

This needs to be explained in the documentation, can't keep spending 5-10minutes on searching forum when i facing idiosyncrasy like that. Please, Roku* - have that updated!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: ifGetMessagePort doco needs update

It's documented for the ifSetMessagePort interface: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifSetMessagePort
Seems they overlooked it for ifGetMessagePort...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuRobB
Streaming Star

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thanks, RokuRobB.
0 Kudos
dev42
Visitor

Pardon my ignorance here, but which should we use?

Are we supposed to poll for the firmware version and call getPort() instead of getMessagePort() if the version is 3.1?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"dev42" wrote:
Pardon my ignorance here, but which should we use?

Are we supposed to poll for the firmware version and call getPort() instead of getMessagePort() if the version is 3.1?

Nah, just always use `getPort()` if you'd be running on fw3 and higher - or you can use `getMessagePort()` if you have forsaken fw3.

Beats me why they did not back-port getMessagePort() to fw3 and avoid confusion/explanation <shrug>
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

This is moot since there is no longer support for apps on 3.x. You can use whichever one you prefer on 6.x but GetMessagePort is more consistent with other components.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
This is moot since there is no longer support for apps on 3.x. You can use whichever one you prefer on 6.x but GetMessagePort is more consistent with other components.

I can understand some eagerness to get rid of maintaining the legacy - but from what i read the "there is no longer support" comes in couple of months.

What's the % of legacy players live, can we get some number?
0 Kudos