Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcrandall
Visitor

Which version is what?

Apologies, I know this has to have been asked before. But as you can imagine a search for 'version' brings up quite a bit.

So there's a version in the manifest file for a roku package, along with a build number.

There's a 'version' I can specify when I package an application for a channel.

There's a 'version' I can select when I use the drop-down for channel submission on the private channel.

What version gets reported by "roAppInfo"?

What version determines an upgrade on the app store?

Does the version I specify when I package an application for a channel with the package utility, matter?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Which version is what?

roAppInfo returns the version from the manifest file (major_version, minor_version and build_version, concatenated and separated by dots).

The Channel Store updates a channel if the local copy is different than the copy on the Channel Store. No version numbers are involved.

The name/version you specify when packaging is displayed when you "inspect" your package, but I don't think it's used for anything else.

--Mark
0 Kudos
dcrandall
Visitor

So if the version in the manifest is what gets reported in roAppInfo.

An application updates if any change is made in the package file.

And the version/name in the packaging only matters in the inspection of the package...

What does the version number drop-down when we submit an application to the private channel, do? It seems extraneous.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"dcrandall" wrote:
What does the version number drop-down when we submit an application to the private channel, do? It seems extraneous.

That's the version that gets displayed in the channel store.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos