Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeroen
Visitor

Which DRM types does Roku support?

Jump to solution
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I would like to start off by saying hi 🙂

Like the subject probably suspects, I've got a question about DRM.

I would like to develop a channel. The Publisher wants me to use Windows Media DRM (WMDRM). Is the Roku capable of doing this?
What kinds of DRM formats does Roku support?
Where can I find any information on DRM for Roku?

That where actually 3 questions... 🙂

Thanks!
Jeroen
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jduval
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Which DRM types does Roku support?

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
destruk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
WMV support was removed because 'nobody used it', so I don't think windows media DRM will work. Digest authentication, HMAC authentication, "Playback of content over SSL-encrypted HTTPS connections ensures that the content is encrypted while en route to the Roky player. The decrypted content is only available for playback and never stored on the Roku Streaming Player. The output ports are also protected: The HDMI port features HDCP and the component video outputs support both CGMS-A and Macrovision."

There you go.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Jump to solution
Currently we don't support any traditional DRM schemes (and WMV is no longer supported), but there are a couple of ways to secure the transmission of your content include HLS with AES-128 (as per the spec) or SSL. The devloper documentation has more details.

Going forward, we'll be supporting (on Roku2) SmoothStreaming (H264 only) and PlayReady in the near term. If you have specific questions about support for your implementation, let me know.

And FWIW, Macrovision is no longer supported. CGMS-A is still there.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Patrick
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Jump to solution
"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Going forward, we'll be supporting (on Roku2) SmoothStreaming (H264 only) and PlayReady in the near term. If you have specific questions about support for your implementation, let me know.

This will be a wonderful addition to the ROKU player. Looking forward for this very eagerly. I really liked their quick start-up, composite manifest, quick trick play, single file format etc.,
0 Kudos
Jeroen
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks for the replies!

I'm currently developing a channel which is very similar to Netflix. This publisher provides local content for in my country.

I have to look at the security options in more detail. I need to convince the publisher that these options are as safe (or even better) then the requested DRM.
Is the content of Netflix also protected using this technology?

Thanks!
Jeroen
0 Kudos
oferc
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi,

Is there a plan to add Widevine support for Roku?

Thanks,

Ofer
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Jump to solution
"streamingguy" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:

This will be a wonderful addition to the ROKU player. Looking forward for this very eagerly. I really liked their quick start-up, composite manifest, quick trick play, single file format etc.,

As per this URL http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mediaplatform/sspk.aspx, ROKU already had final product agreement license. I hope we will see Smooth Streaming support in very few days... Waiting for that.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Jump to solution
"oferc" wrote:
Hi,

Is there a plan to add Widevine support for Roku?

Thanks,

Ofer

Widevine isn't currently planned. What application do you have that requires Widevine?
0 Kudos
rharvey
Visitor

Jump to solution
We could do with Widevine support or Flash Access 2 in order to bring one of the UK's leading TV channels content to the Roku
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Jump to solution
We currently have no plans to support either Widevide or Flash Access. We do, however, now support both SmoothStreaming and PlayReady.
0 Kudos