Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coldrain
Binge Watcher

What will happen with deprecated API

My channel is using GetDeviceUniqueID API to post data to my server just for statistic purpose. The document says that the API is going to be deprecated in Spring 2019. I try the new API GetChannelClientId() but it returns completely unrelated value. Does anyone know how I can switch to the new API without damaging my current statistic data?
By the way, what will happen after the API is really deprecated? Will the channel crash or the API just return blank value?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: What will happen with deprecated API

Going forward, there is no function that will return the same value that "GetDeviceUniqueID" returns now.  In order to transition seamlessly you'd need to be getting the current value from "GetChannelClientId" and switching them out or linking them up on your back end.
I don't know for sure what they (Roku co) will do, but I'm guessing the deprecated function will issue a warning in debug and not crash the app.  But you won't be able to get a new app approved with that function in it.
aspiring
0 Kudos