Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorcykey
Visitor

Telnet debug console always being refused

Hello,

I use Eclipse for writing and debugging all of my BrightScript. I recently upgraded from the older Eclipse Juno-supported plugin to the newer Eclipse Neon-supported plugin so I could get started with the Scene Graph API.

I'm noticing that when I side-load apps from my Eclipse, the one thing I can't get working is the Debug Console. It appears that the port is refusing the connect. Here's what I see if I attempt to connect directly via telnet in my Terminal Shell:
telnet 10.0.0.169 8085
Trying 10.0.0.169...
Connected to 10.0.0.169.
Escape character is '^]'.
Console connection is already in use.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I've tried looking up any open processes against port 8085 and killing them (which closes my Eclipse window). But restarting the debugger will just throw the same error right back at me. Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
-Mikey
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Telnet debug console always being refused

What OS are you running telnet from? Does telnet to port 8085 work correctly if you're not using Eclipse?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Motorcykey" wrote:
telnet 10.0.0.169 8085
Trying 10.0.0.169...
Connected to 10.0.0.169.
Escape character is '^]'.
Console connection is already in use.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I've tried looking up any open processes against port 8085 and killing them (which closes my Eclipse window). But restarting the debugger will just throw the same error right back at me. Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Seems quite clear to me - Eclipse is hogging the console!
You can't do `telnet` from terminal/command prompt at the same time, as seen above.

Let's give credit due to a recent minor improvement in the telnet server - now it says "Console connection is already in use." and closes the connection - before dupe connections were just hanging there useless.

On a side note - what "restarting the debugger" are you talking about? Eclipse plugin just has a barebone console, no?
0 Kudos
Motorcykey
Visitor

Hey,

Thanks for the responses!

That definitely seemed to be it... It appears that telnet in the shell does work if I close Eclipse. Odd because I thought it would have worked after closing it through the shell... maybe the shell needed to be restarted? I dunno but it's working now.

I am continuing to get the below issue in my Eclipse console (whether or not I have a shell open or not), but since it looks like I can now use a Terminal to debug, I should be able to get by. Thanks!

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Motorcykey" wrote:
I am continuing to get the below issue in my Eclipse console (whether or not I have a shell open or not), but since it looks like I can now use a Terminal to debug, I should be able to get by. Thanks!

That's exactly the same thing... but looked from the other side!
This time you had connected (telnet 8085) to the console from terminal window/shell and that's why Eclipse cannot telnet into that port. Only one connection per Roku port, remember? Before Eclipse was hogging the port and so new telnet from terminal was failing - now is the other way around.
0 Kudos