Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VikR0001
Visitor

Support for Multiple Video Streams?

From the Roku Docs:

Because network speeds can vary over time, a crucial aspect when providing the best experience to your viewers is providing multiple video streams of varying quality. Roku devices can then automatically select the best streaming quality based on the viewer's network connection.

Despite searching, I have no idea yet how to set up my Brightscript app to know where to find multiple video streams, so that it can automatically select the best one.

Is there a link that describes how to do that?

Thanks in advance to all for any info.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Support for Multiple Video Streams?

If you're using HTTP Live Streaming for your content, your playlist can specify multiple versions of a stream, each tagged with a EXT-X-STREAM-INF describing the bitrate/bandwidth.
0 Kudos
VikR0001
Visitor

This is for .mp4 or .mov files. Is it still helpful to provide different versions at different resolutions? If so, is there a link showing how to set this up?
0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I don't think this is possible if you're pointing directly to a video file... you should point to a M3U file that lists the alternatives and let the playback software in the Roku device pick which version to use.
0 Kudos