Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maihde
Visitor

Strange issue using the Roku webpage to add channels

Starting last week (around the 11th) my roku started to refuse loading my channel that I had published (although it was still fine when sideloaded). At first I had thought it was a problem with my channel, my account, or my device...but one of my friends experienced the same issue so I'm wondering if other's in the developer community are able to reproduce the issue.

From what I can tell, this behavior is the same if it's a private channel or a public channel. What's important is how the channel was added. If I add via the webpage, I cannot reload channels that have been installed and deleted once.

For example, the same problem occurs with the disney channel https://owner.roku.com/add/disney; but if I use the channel store instead of the URL I can add and delete as many times as I want. Obviously, for private channels the webpage is the only way to add channels...so this isn't a suitable workaround. For developers, at least in my case, it prevents me from loading my published or unpublished beta testing channels.

I have tried a factory reset and disabling side-loading; I'm currently trying to work this issue through Roku Customer Support...but feedback from the developer community would really be a big help.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Find a channel URL you have never loaded onto your roku before (i.e. https://owner.roku.com/add/holiday)
2. Visit that link in a web-browser. Select "Yes, Add Channel". Verify that you are taken to the "Channel Added" page.
3. On the roku, enter the channel store
4. In the "My Channels" list you will see the new channel. Exit the channel store
5. Find the channel in your lineup, use the info button on it and then select "Remove Channel"
6. Revisit the URL used in step 1. You should be presented with the "Add Channel" confirmation page. Select "Yes, Add Channel". Verify you are taking to the "Channel Added" page.
7. On the roku, enter the channel store.
8. Exit the channel store

Expected Behavior:

The channel exists in my lineup.
Visiting the URL used in step 1 shows the "Channel Already Added" page is displayed.

Observed Behavior:

The channel does not exist in my lineup.
Visiting the URL used in step 1 shows the "Add Channel" page. (The "Add Channel" page is always displayed, even for channels that were added via the Channel Store and existing in my lineup)

Roku Device Details
Software: 3.1.1011
Hardware: 2050X
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Strange issue using the Roku webpage to add channels

I can confirm that I encountered the same problem when I followed the steps you described. I added the holiday channel from the web page, checked that it was loaded on my Roku, then deleted it and tried to re-add it. This time it did not appear in my channel listings.

The only difference in my case is that when I tried to add the new channel from the web page the first time then go into the channel store and select 'Go to channel', I got an 'Insufficient storage' error, even though I didn't have that many channels installed. I've seen the 'insufficient storage' error before and haven't found a consistent way to reproduce that problem, although it does not seem to be related to the number of channels I have installed.

So it looks like something is a little screwy with the channel-adding process.

I'm using software 3.1/1011 on a model 2000C.

EDIT: I just noticed that there's a discussion about this problem in http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46807

EDIT: Another strange issue. I created a new private channel and added it to my account, yet when I go back in to the Channel Details page in the developer site, it says: "Accounts Installed: 0". Shouldn't it at least say that 1 account is installed?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I don't think the accounts installed data is real-time.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I don't think the accounts installed data is real-time.

-JT

I guess not. It did eventually show up as 1 channel installed. It seemed to take an hour or two. Another thing I've noticed is that when I try to add one of my own private channels that is already installed on my Roku, I don't get an error message saying that the channel is already installed. I seem to remember in the past that trying to install a channel that was already installed gave an error message.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
EDIT: I just noticed that there's a discussion about this problem in http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46807

EDIT: Another strange issue. I created a new private channel and added it to my account, yet when I go back in to the Channel Details page in the developer site, it says: "Accounts Installed: 0". Shouldn't it at least say that 1 account is installed?

sort-of explained from that thread, it's only once-removed channels that are add-impotent:
"RokuMarkn" wrote:
There was a problem last week that prevented removing private channels. This has been fixed. There is still another problem that prevents adding a previously deleted private channel. This is being worked on. I don't have an ETA but I would expect that it will be fixed soon.
--Mark
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

Anyone know the status of this issue? I've had questions from users who can't add back our channel after it's deleted, and I haven't seen that it was resolved yet.

Thanks
-Gregg
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We hope to have this issue fixed before noon today. I'll post an update to my original post on this when the fix is live and verified.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This issue should be fixed now.

- Joel
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

Great - thanks Joel!
-Gregg
0 Kudos
maihde
Visitor

I just tested it and it appear to be fixed. Thanks RokuJoel.
0 Kudos