Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Roku took down my channel without explanation

From static analysis:  "devid of submitted package does not match devid of previously submitted package"

I thought this was because I was using a different device than the one I used to package it originally, but it appears that's not the case.

Everyday it's something new and it's never good!  :evil:

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: What's this new nonsense?

Does it actually prevent you from submitting or is it just a warning?  As a warning I think it'd be pretty useful as in the past I've made that mistake (using a new dev key unintentionally) with the effect that persistent storage cannot be accessed, which depending on the channel, can be detrimental in that everyone needs to log in again and store a new token.
But if it prevents submission, I agree that's horrible!
aspiring
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: What's this new nonsense?

It's an error, so there's no way to submit the package.  It may be related to this.  Roku replaced my package with one of their own with no notification to me.  Nice, huh?

I don't know how I missed this.  It looks like this started a couple of months ago.  If rekeying the device with an old package really updates the devid (which makes sense now that I think about it) then the problem is really that they replaced my package with theirs.  I was thinking the devid was tied to a device, but that must not be the case.

As long as you rekey your device with an old package and the correct password, you should be able to use any device to package a channel.  I suppose I should change the thread title as it's arguably a good thing that you can't submit a package with a different devid since, as you mentioned, you'd lose your old registry entries.  On the other hand, if you lose the original package there's no way to update the channel.  I suppose this is one method of taking down a channel.

I don't think it's too much to ask for Roku to communicate such a decision with explanation to the developer when a channel is taken down.

-JT

0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Roku took down my channel without explanation

wait it's been a while but I thought as the channel owner you could download the package files of your own channels and use them to rekey your roku, perhaps now enabling yourself to overwrite those channels?  Yes at least for my uncertified channel I have the option on the published channel page: "Package File: Download"

But I totally agree on your other points, that's messed up.
aspiring
0 Kudos
renojim

I don't think I ever tried it, but you're right! You can download the package and use it to rekey a device. I've been holding onto at least one old package for each of my keys, but I guess that's not really necessary (unless Roku removes your package and replaces it with one of their own). Way back when, you could actually sideload the downloaded package, but not anymore. It was useful for those times when my version control wasn't what it should have been. I don't think I've downloaded a package since they took that ability away.

-JT

0 Kudos
Motorcykey
Visitor

Also trying to resolve this for an update to an existing app that was created by another developer. Hoping I have everything I need... Can someone breakdown the process of re-keying my device and packing my application, as it's not crystal clear on the docs... I'll take a first stab at it.

1) I side-load my channel onto my Roku device.
2) I have an older version of my Roku app that was built by a third-party, which is currently live and needs to be updated. I load up the 'Package Utilities' page and upload this package.
3) I use the current password for my Roku device as created by my GenKey utility.
4) I click 'Rekey'
5) After the 'Success' message appears, I can now move over to the 'Packager' tab
6) I input an 'App name/version'
7) I use the same password for my Roku device as I did in Step 3 (which should now be re-keyed, correct? Or do i need to create a new key before this step?)
8-) Click Package

Thanks!

-Mikey
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"Motorcykey" wrote:

3) I use the current password for my Roku device as created by my GenKey utility.

The password needs to be the one that was used to create the  .pkg file you are re-keying from, not your current password.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Motorcykey
Visitor

Thanks squirreltown!
0 Kudos