Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rru96
Visitor

Process Roku uses..

I was trying to find information about how to search for processes that take place in the roku source. Such as, what happens behind the scenes when Roku gets out of a screensaver. Can anyone help ? I have been going over brightscript and am chomping at the bit to put some things in code... just need an "in"
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Process Roku uses..

I don't really understand what you're asking. When a screensaver stops running in your channel, your channel continues to run. Can you describe in more detail what you're trying to do?

--Mark
0 Kudos
rru96
Visitor

The idea is to use the screensaver to perform events, based on button pressed to escape the screensaver.

I was looking at creating standalone screensavers, not private c/ channel.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

A screensaver cannot perform any action based on an input key because the screensaver exits as soon as a key is pressed. See http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Screensavers :

When a screensaver is running, any user input will simply terminate the screensaver and return to the channel which was previously running.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Well I guess you could just create 2D "game" screens that appear to be nothing more than screensavers but really aren't, and have them do whatever you want with specific button presses
0 Kudos
rru96
Visitor

Let me just explain the idea. Maybe someone can help out.

There were two trains of thought going along:

1) Use a screensaver, to activate code functions based on system time. i.e. Deep Embed Code to send channel code to trigger the screensaver to escape out to the preselected channel at a given time. Like an alarm. Screensaver runs in while loop, once the time is reached, it sends out a channel change code. Now, if a specific "channel change" code exists, I don't know, but I imagine sending remote control commands along with text strings can trigger to the channel if it had to. Using the screensaver settings section, you set the channel, and the time.

2) Using a remote control overlay, during the screensaver settings, you assign channels to each of the buttons. Depending on how the screensaver exits, the button pressed that is sent would allow you to automatically change to that channel directly from the screensaver.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

You can launch one channel from another by issuing an ECP launch command (see 3.0 External Control Protocol Services in the External Control Guide). You can probably also program your screensaver to do this at the appropriate time.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

1) is possible as belltown suggests, but 2) is not. There's no way to know what button dismissed the screensaver; the rug is just pulled out from under you.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos