Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jozoku
Visitor

Package file size limit?

Hi,
I'm about to submit a package for my newly created channel. I've check the Certification for submitting a channel and thing that bother me most is the 4MB limit.
Is it has to strictly be under 4MB? Since I want to include some asset (custom fonts, images,...) in the channel so the size would be over 5MB.
If it has to be under 4MB then is there any other way to include heavy custom asset?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Package file size limit?

Unless you are a Roku Partner like Netflix probably not. Downloading the graphics is the only way if you need that much.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
jozoku
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
Unless you are a Roku Partner like Netflix probably not. Downloading the graphics is the only way if you need that much.

Thanks for the information. 
Seems like we have to think about another way to control the asset, since some of our background images for high end device such as 4K and 8K TV are way too big in size.
0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Remember that for a Roku 4K device, the UI runs at 1080p.  The UI doesn't run at the native display resolution.  Also, look into tools like optipng and MozJPEG (https://github.com/mozilla/mozjpeg) that can reduce file size without affecting the visual quality of images.
0 Kudos