Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Overlay roPosterScreen with ImageCanvas

This used to work ???

I have a roPosterScreen object that is overlayed with a roImageCanvas which contains additional information about the selected item. This works fine for the older boxes but the new level clears out the all but the overhang.

Level 6.x

Level 3.x

Any ideas ?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Overlay roPosterScreen with ImageCanvas

I have no idea why it may have worked in the past, but not any more, although it's definitely not something that's supported, according to the Component Reference:

The top screen on the stack is the only one that is visible; all lower screens are hidden
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I'm even more curious as to how it could have worked at all. Doesn't the roImageCanvas intercept all of the keypresses, preventing the user from navigating the poster screen underneath? Were you closing the canvas and re-sending the keypress via ECP or something? I'm intrigued...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
I'm even more curious as to how it could have worked at all. Doesn't the roImageCanvas intercept all of the keypresses, preventing the user from navigating the poster screen underneath? Were you closing the canvas and re-sending the keypress via ECP or something? I'm intrigued...

Yea me too. Inquiring Devs want to know. The magic 8-ball can see your future though, "it is decidedly ...roScreen".
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
The magic 8-ball can see your future though, "it is decidedly ...roScreen".

0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

The ImageCanvas screen is created in a subroutine. Then the keypress from the msg port is returned to the main routine.

It still appears to function correctly BUT the main part of the PosterScreen disappears ???
Why is the overhang still visible if the ImageCanvas replaced it ???

I know this used to work !
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"greubel" wrote:

Why is the overhang still visible if the ImageCanvas replaced it ???

It's only visible until the screen saver kicks in then exits, after which it will be replaced by blackness (at least with today's firmware; who knows how it will behave tomorrow).
0 Kudos