Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
almiki
Channel Surfer

Video options overlay menu, possible to hide captions options?

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to prevent the default options (*) overlay menu from showing the ability to choose things like captions and audio tracks. For videos that have track options to select from, I have custom handling for it, which is controlled via a separate mobile app. I would like to prevent changes that aren't initiated from the mobile app. Is there any way to customize the options shown in the options popup like this? Or might there be a way to intercept the UI event, so that instead of directly modifying the video tracks, I could route the request back to the mobile app, and let the mobile app do its thing?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
philanderson777
Roku Guru

Re: Video options overlay menu, possible to hide captions options?

As far as I know it's a mandatory cert item that these items are triggered from the * button

Also I believe the event is handled by the firmware and not passed to the app

So I would suggest a hybrid approach that you 

a) permit the natural firmware to do its work as Roku intend

b) if you have enhancements via the mobile app, then run them too from the mobile app

Feel free to join the roku developers slack workspace and post in the #general channel to discuss for more ideas

https://join.slack.com/t/rokudevelopers/shared_invite/zt-1zkm3krph-DBHjkyrZ3K_g6Mo8s3x~Sg

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.