Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Re: New project Prince of Persia (open source available)

I released a new version last week and forgot to inform here!

I initially had the impression that to implement the "Flip Screen" effect would require a huge refactoring, doing it on the sprites level, but I figured out that I could just make the roCompositor to draw to a bitmap, flip it and then paint to the roScreen. That slows down the animation so I had to accelerate when the flip mode is on.

I already fixed several other bugs after this release, probably on next weekend I will release v0.12 as a "Feature Complete" RC.

Enjoy!

Beta Release "Flip Potion" (v0.11)

Release Notes

This is the third Beta release of the game, the main changes are:

• The flip screen potion effect (Level 9) is implemented;

• Fixes on special events for the Skeleton, Mouse and Shadow;

• Fixes related to issues when the room has multiple slicers side by side;

• Several other Bug fixes.

Check the full Changelog: https://github.com/lvcabral/Prince-of-P ... angelog.md
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

The fun never ends 🙂

I decided to start adding support for mods (custom level sets, sprites and sounds) in my implementation, there are several mods created by the community:
Full List: http://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000042
Example of a mod I'm using for test: http://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000042

This way anyone could use a level editor like Apoplexy http://www.norbertdejonge.nl/apoplexy/ to expand the game.
This tool can generate standard XML files - http://www.popot.org/documentation.php? ... XML_Format - that are now supported by the game.

I also revamped the menu screens and added a new configuration screen to select the Mod and configure some Cheat Modes, checkout some screen shots:

0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

I finally could use this "labor day" long weekend to wrap up and release the "feature complete" final beta version. Below the summary of changes, if you need detailed check the full changelog

v0.12 Release Notes 

* High Score screens (add, view)
* Revamped Menu graphics
* New Mods and Cheats screen
* Support for Mods with Custom Levels, Sprites and Sounds
* Refactored to improve performance and avoid memory leaks
* Several other changes and bug fixes.

You can also take a look on demo video:
[youtube:12yd2vvs]gFOKxBuw66o[/youtube:12yd2vvs]
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

While trying to test for audio problems Komag complains about, i ran into a quirk of PoP on a RokuTV

After showing a "Warning: Your Roku device doesn't support accelerated graphics, this game will not perform well." dialog, the opening screen / credits don't fill the screen but show in the upper left corner, maybe sized 2/3 (e.g. as if a 720p image was shown on 1080p screen w/no stretch). When starting a game later, things are back to normal - i.e. full screen/centered. Any idea why is that?
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
While trying to test for audio problems Komag complains about, i ran into a quirk of PoP on a RokuTV

After showing a "Warning: Your Roku device doesn't support accelerated graphics, this game will not perform well." dialog, the opening screen / credits don't fill the screen but show in the upper left corner, maybe sized 2/3 (e.g. as if a 720p image was shown on 1080p screen w/no stretch). When starting a game later, things are back to normal - i.e. full screen/centered. Any idea why is that?

Never saw this before, will try on my Roku HD. It's clear that for some reason the screen is not changing to the 854x480 mode. 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
Never saw this before, will try on my Roku HD. It's clear that for some reason the screen is not changing to the 854x480 mode. 

I had no idea such resolution is possible even.
I'll take a guess behavior differs between the OpenGL and non-OGL (24xx, 25xx, 27xx, Express 37xx, Roku TV 5xxx) players.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
"marcelo.cabral" wrote:

I had no idea such resolution is possible even.

You can see different roScreen resolutions here:
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roScreen
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:

I could reproduce it on my sister's Roku 2 (old generation), will create a fix for it. I also noticed some issues with the music, that I can't reproduce in my low end Roku HD.
The OpenGL devices are really the best alternative for games.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
I could reproduce it on my sister's Roku 2 (old generation), will create a fix for it. I also noticed some issues with the music, that I can't reproduce in my low end Roku HD.
The OpenGL devices are really the best alternative for games.

Oh yes, OGL for the win!
I suspect the schism is between the OGL and DirectFB camps of players. Roku has a common abstraction (roScreen/r2d2) on top of both of these but as it can be expected, sometimes it "leaks".

Btw, i suggest avoid using player names: "Roku 2" name have been (ab)used for at least 3 way different hardwares - 30xx/31xx, 2720 and 4210. I'll take a stab hers being a 2720 (no OGL)
0 Kudos