Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: New project Prince of Persia (will be open sourced May 3

Ha, here is something curious - on a RokuTV (#5000 @ fw 7.1) in 1x1 mode i see vertical seams (vertical cracks) between the blocks, when that is not the case on a Roku 3 (#4200 @ fw 7.0). I tried both 720p and 1080p resolutions on Roku3, so it's not the resolution (RokuTV has no setting to change resolution, it's at 1080). There are no seams in 2x2 and 3x3 modes, so it might be something related to doubling the image size. The "cracks" are a pixel(or two?)-wide black lines between some of the solid 10x3 "macroblocks". It's not an eyesore, i won't call it a bug.

It might be a 7.0 to 7.1 difference but i think much more likely is due to difference in the graphics engine between 3xxx/4xxx and 27xx/50xx models. (One uses OpenGL, the other emulates via DirectFB i believe).
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Ha, here is something curious - on a RokuTV (#5000 @ fw 7.1) in 1x1 mode i see vertical seams (vertical cracks) between the blocks, when that is not the case on a Roku 3 (#4200 @ fw 7.0). I tried both 720p and 1080p resolutions on Roku3, so it's not the resolution (RokuTV has no setting to change resolution, it's at 1080). There are no seams in 2x2 and 3x3 modes, so it might be something related to doubling the image size. The "cracks" are a pixel(or two?)-wide black lines between some of the solid 10x3 "macroblocks". It's not an eyesore, i won't call it a bug.

It might be a 7.0 to 7.1 difference but i think much more likely is due to difference in the graphics engine between 3xxx/4xxx and 27xx/50xx models. (One uses OpenGL, the other emulates via DirectFB i believe).

Can you take a picture of this effect?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:

<sigh> i was hoping by giviing detailed description to avoid: having to squat in front of TV to take photo with the phone, then uploading to computer, then resizing, then trying to upload to tinypic.com just to figure the upload dialog won't open in Chrome, then to move to Safari to do the upload and see the URLs won't show up because Flash is old and blocked, then to inspect html source for it, then do URLDecode to get the URL, then put it as IMG here just to be reminded that the moderator has forbidden size over 800px :oops: ... ultimately, hope one of these will open for you:

http://i67.tinypic.com/jq4bgn.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/jq4bgn/9
http://tinypic.com?ref=jq4bgn
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
"marcelo.cabral" wrote:

<sigh> i was hoping by giviing detailed description to avoid: having to squat in front of TV to take photo with the phone, then uploading to computer, then resizing, then trying to upload to tinypic.com just to figure the upload dialog won't open in Chrome, then to move to Safari to do the upload and see the URLs won't show up because Flash is old and blocked, then to inspect html source for it, then do URLDecode to get the URL, then put it as IMG here just to be reminded that the moderator has forbidden size over 800px :oops: ... ultimately, hope one of these will open for you:

http://i67.tinypic.com/jq4bgn.jpg

It worked, thanks.

It's weird, it follows the tiles transparency edges. It can be a side effect of how the regions from dfSetupDisplayRegions handles the relative coordinate system.

Does it shows this on the 4 rooms mode ? It uses the same resolution (854x480)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
It's weird, it follows the tiles transparency edges.
Aha! I am eating back all the bitchy frustration from taking the photo, since you noticed something i missed - it's not only the vertical lines but also the appearance of diagonal lines separating the floor into distinct tiles

It can be a side effect of how the regions from dfSetupDisplayRegions handles the relative coordinate system.
I doubt that because there is no magic in dfSetupDisplayRegions(), you can see the source via `ReadAsciiFile("common:/LibCore/v30/bslDefender.brs")`. On a side note, i am shocked somebody actually is using bslDefender 😛

Does it shows this on the 4 rooms mode ? It uses the same resolution (854x480)
No. I mentioned before it does not show in 2x2 or 3x3 - but i specifically went looking again and it's only in 1x1 mode, and only on my RokuTV w/7.1 (i speculate will be the same with Roku LT #2700, Roku 1 #2710, Roku 2 #2720) and not on Roku 3.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:
it follows the tiles transparency edges.

Sound very suspicious to how different Roku's handle raw graphics stuff, such as the OpenGL vs other
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

I missed the promised milestone of April 30th for the version 0.8, but for a good reason, I decided to add a new set of sprites, to prepare for custom downloadable sprites in the future.

Will be ready soon, and I will update the private preview channel.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

With one week of delay, finally I could finish v0.8 and the private channel is updated.
Tomorrow I will publish a video with 0.7 and 0.8 enhancements. The next release date remains May 30th, together with the source code.

The changeset is below.

0.8 - Guards Fight, Slow Fall Potion, Game Timer, Save Game, Save Settings, Mac sprites (kid, guards, sword)
* Add: Settings Menu: Control Mode, Graphics Mode, Credits
* Add: Default Limit of 10 health lives for the kid
* Add: Game timer (60 minutes default) - Message 2 seconds level, 2 seconds timer
* Add: After death timer: 15s after death, start alert for 6s if no button pressed restart game
* Add: Show guards on each level
* Add: Life indicator of the Guards on the Status Bar
* Add: Guards in all 7 colors - not on JS
* Add: Guard lives matching clothes colors - not on JS
* Add: Guard splash matching clothes colors - not on JS
* Add: Support for Macintosh sprites (Kid, Guards and Sword)
* Add: Fighting behavior for kid and guards
* Add: Disable Shift key "toggle mode" when fighting
* Add: Slow Fall Potion (big green): Float down when falling big heights (L7)
* Add: Back key stop the game and return to Menu
* Add: Menus to Save (from level 3) and Restore the Game state (level, health, time)
* Add: Sound Effects: guard hit, sword attack, sword defense, sword drawn, fight death, hang on fall
* Add: Ported Actor.js and Fighter.js code into charActor.brs
* Add: Ported Enemy.js to charGuard.brs
* Change: OK button now switch between Regular and Debug modes
* Change: Dark mode is now activated with Replay button when in Debug mode
* Refactor: Extracted common methods and properties from charKid.brs to charActor.brs
* Refactor: Moved game loop to gameScreen.brs
* Refactor: Moved the footstep sound to the CMD_TAP on process_command_kid as the original code
* Refactor: Moved VersionInfo to be shown when Debug mode is enabled
* Refactor: Created function FlipHorizontally to avoid duplicating sprites (left, right)
* Refactor: Reduced the size of images using tinypng.com
* Fix: When the fall is from too high with a plate, the kid is slower (L9R16-15-14)
* Fix: Only change to "engarde" when the kid has the sword (L1) - Same bug on JS
* Fix: Guards moves backward instead of turning when the kid is behind him - Same bug on JS
* Fix: Fight mode is ignoring the CharY - Same bug on JS
* Fix: Guards are not falling to lower level (use stabbed frames) - Same bug on JS
* Fix: Try step on a Loose Plate is making it fall
* Fix: Level 6 in "9 rooms mode" shows decoration over the wall
* Fix: Kid splash shows in front of pillar
* Fix: When drinking potion in a palace level the wall decoration disappears (L4R23)
* Fix: Missing tile on the assets: TILE_TORCH_WITH_DEBRIS = 30 - Same bug on JS
* Fix: When Door is opening and kid exit room and come back the door is closed again (L1 and L7)
* Fix: When engarde with back to the wall and retrieve the kid enter inside the wall (L2R4)
* Fix: Jump towards an opening gate fall forever (L7R3)
* Fix: Guard ignores close gate as a barrier
* Fix: Guard is not killed by spikes
* Fix: Sometimes jump to the right into wall crash (L3R12)
* Fix: Sometimes fall forever when jumping until fall - same bug on JS (L1R6 & L4R17-19)
* Fix: Guard fall forever when pushed down (L4)
* Fix: Crash when fatguard falls on the abyss (L6)
* Fix: Dead kid is not pressing the button (L7)
* Fix: Kid alerts the guard that fall forever (L4R17-18)
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Here is the video with the changes on version 0.7 and 0.8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tVxNFCUSiE

I made public the link for installation:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94669
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

I know I promised to release yesterday, but there is a couple of bugs I don't want to release without fixing.
I'm working on those issues now and will release the code later today
0 Kudos