Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Need Help With Testing My Game - Please See If You Can Break It :)

I broke it!
Well sort of, I have multiple Rokus (doesn't everybody?) and when I tried to run it on a different Roku than I had initially, it crashes right away.  Well not right away, but the intro screen appears and pressing any key crashes the app.
Unfortunately I have no way to debug it, it's 100% reproducible on the device I'm using.
Went back to the initial device and it's still working fine there.
Any ideas or suggestions?
thanks,
Joe
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Update: Playing on the initial roku and saw a couple crashes; 
First time was strange, a message in white text on an all black screen appeared saying something like "Your program will begin after a moment" and just stayed there until I hit Home.
Then after starting again and playing about 10 minutes more, after playing a level (i failed) it went to a black screen and stayed there.  I pressed the remote keys and nothing happened, so then I pressed Home button.

Update: saw it again but it didn't crash this time;  "Your program will begin after this message" Then an ad for Roku TV plays - then it went back to where we left off.
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@joetesta - mention the device model# and firmware#, one of them is likely relevant.
Also the specific "Tiles" version/build, but i cannot find that.

@Romans_I_XVI - you already charging for upgrades, does that mean this very channel #112739 is the one to get public-ed? Because in my experience, an in-app purchase does not transfer to another channel, even if associated with >1 channels.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

They're both Roku 3's - the one having the immediate crashes and can't play at all is on firmware 7.2.0 Build 6026-04
Tiles is version 1.0 build 0, from pressing star on the home screen over the icon 🙂
aspiring
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

@EnTerr

Yes this channel is the one to get public-ed, I actually just updated it with the final version (which includes ads and an upgrade) yesterday and submitted it.

@joetesta

It's very strange that you are having issues on the one device. Exactly what screen do you get to when it crashes? Were you able to get through the tutorial and to the main menu? Also, I assume this is still happening? Because the other day my server was actually down for most of the day, but right now everything should be working fine...
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Also, the Roku 3 where the game plays fine, which firmware build is that on?

I have 2 Roku 3's, one is from a couple years ago and one I just got recently, both work fine but both are on 7.2 build 4100. Not sure how I get build 6026-04... maybe it's only certain models? Either way, I suppose Roku QA would be testing against that firmware and would be able to give me a debug report to see what's going on.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

It gets to the welcome screen (Welcome to Tiles!) I see the 5 x 5 block with "Start Here, Clear all of these, Finish Here" - any keypress immediately returns to home screen.
The Roku 3 that is working for me has some beta firmware I'm sworn to secrecy about.  I sent you a message, I'll be a lot more available after 4pm PST (when I'm out of work).
aspiring
0 Kudos