Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdurrant420
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Ok using ubutuntu 11.04 and the file name àáèê.mp4 it plays fine

So lets check a couple of settings. In your virtual box, is your network adapter set to bridged or NAT?
if it is set to NAT, then you host operating system's firewall may be causing the problem.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I don't think it has anything to do with the VM since tlunde is having the same issue and I don't think he's using a VM and it's only with characters above 128. Your result makes me think even more that it's something with v10.04. The server actually crashes in the join routine in posixpath.py (tlunde posted the traceback above).

Maybe I'll create a 11.04 VM and see what happens.

Edit: Sure enough, it works in Ubuntu 11.04. I'm not sure where to go from here with this problem other than I'm fairly certain it has worked for people using Ubuntu 10.04. My Ubuntu and Python skills are probably not up to figuring out what the problem is with 10.04.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

Did you update you 10.04 to 10.10 before you updated to 11.04? It may just be that the uth-8 was expanded in the versions of Ubuntu durring an update
0 Kudos
renojim

I didn't update anything; I just created a new 11.04 VM. I wasn't aware that there was an update to v10 (I really only use Ubuntu to test different things). I'll give updating to 10.10 a try.

-JT

0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

So i had a slighltly crazy idea. Could we modify the settings page so you can scroll though the themes? Since the new beta pull the theme info from the server correct?
0 Kudos
renojim

That's an interesting idea. With the beta, I took the easy route that has the channel pull everything from the client/images directory on the server, so users have to copy images into that directory. I suppose the client could request a list of themes (basically subdirectories of client/themes) and then pull everything from the one chosen from the settings. I'll look into it.

-JT

0 Kudos
oncebitter
Visitor

Install Instructions for Synology NAS

Hi folks,
I finally managed to get MyMedia installed on my Synology NAS. I wrote up the procedure here if anyone is interested. Hope it helps!
http://literatitech.blogspot.com/2011/06/installing-mymedia-on-synology-nas.html
-B
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Install Instructions for Synology NAS

"oncebitter" wrote:
Hi folks,
I finally managed to get MyMedia installed on my Synology NAS. I wrote up the procedure here if anyone is interested. Hope it helps!
Installing on Synology NAS
-B

Edited to make the link clickable.

Looks good. One thing, try setting $LANG to en_US.UTF-8 before starting the server. The only platform I haven't been able to get accented characters in file names to work is Ubuntu 10.04 and I'm still looking into the problem.

Thanks!
-JT

0 Kudos
oncebitter
Visitor

Thanks! I've updated the install instructions with the info (with due credit of course) and will test it out soon.
0 Kudos
cl_
Visitor

I am trying to install this, but when I get to the step of running Mymedia.bat a dos window flashes then immediately closes. Reading this thread through, I get the idea that window should stay open. I have no idea if a "server" is running. If I control/alt/delete to task manager to see the currently applications, it certainly does not list it.

I think the above is the problem, but if I do go to the next step and click on "configure my server" I just get "Unable to connect. Firefox cannot establish a connection to the server at 127.....etc."

I have tried right clicking on the mymedia.bat file and running it as administrator. That gets me a bit further - I get a "Windows needs your permission to continue..." for "Windows Command processor." I get a dos screen, but then it closes quickly.

What am I doing wrong?

AND, more importantly, once I get this whole thing going, will I be able to use MyMedia to create playlists of my music collection, and play them direct from a USB drive from my usb enabled Roku? I use the native Roku USB app right now, but would like more control to create playlists without needing my computer on.
0 Kudos