Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdurrant420
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Hey is extreme alvacado still the most recent version? I was going to make updated pictures for the high contrast theme but wasn't sure if it was still the most recent

Witmarquzot
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Hi Witmar!

The name has remained Extreme Avocado, but it's had a few updates. You can get the latest released version in the usual place.

I'm working on the next version. You can read about the beta and how to get it here. One of the big changes is that all of the images are retrieved from the server so they no longer need to be a part of the package. That makes it a lot easier for anyone to create their own theme or to just replace any posters they don't like. I added two new posters, PlayNew and LoopAll, and I'll apologize again for mucking with your fine work. Just so you know, the posters should be 300x300 for HD and 223x200 for SD. I think one of the firmware updates makes response of the UI really slow if the posters are incorrectly sized, although if PIL is used it's not an issue. The square HD posters are really the only ones necessary, although I've been creating SD posters for my own use. To keep their proper aspect ratio when displayed in SD, SD posters have to either use non-square pixels or you can do what I do - shrink the 300x300 poster to 223x200. It will look distorted, but will display correctly on the box. The "wide" images aren't needed. I think this list of images is complete except for the main menu logo. We've been using the media_wide image, but it should be 336 x 210 for HD and 248 x 140 for SD and again the SD poster should use non-square pixels or be pre-distorted. The private channel will continue to use the original yellow icon, but there's nothing stopping anyone from creating their own private channel that uses any main menu icon they like (that's what I do).

Soon I'll be finalizing the beta version and getting everything into github. At that time I'll push out the update to the private channel.

Let me know if you need anything from me.
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tlunde

non-ASCII filenames are causing me grief

One of my video files has an accented character in the filename. When I try to look at the Videos section, the Roku halts with the error:
Server Problem
Communications with the server have been lost.

When i take out the file with the accented character in the filename, or point video_dir in config.ini at a directory with just ACSCII filenames, the system works.

I see that others have solved this problem, but I can't figure out what is tripping me up.
I'd love a suggestion or two to help fix this!

Here is the relevant bit from my log and also some server information. The version of the channel I'm using is straight from the store; I did a factory reset and then re-installed it. The server version that I have is a git pull as of about an hour ago.

Please let me know if there's any other information that would be helpful. Thanks!

[stuff above clipped]
192.168.0.103:46604 - - [30/Jul/2011 09:17:36] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/tlunde/bin/test/roku_media_server/server/web/application.py", line 242, in process
return self.handle()
File "/home/tlunde/bin/test/roku_media_server/server/web/application.py", line 233, in handle
return self._delegate(fn, self.fvars, args)
File "/home/tlunde/bin/test/roku_media_server/server/web/application.py", line 412, in _delegate
return handle_class(cls)
File "/home/tlunde/bin/test/roku_media_server/server/web/application.py", line 387, in handle_class
return tocall(*args)
File "/home/tlunde/bin/test/roku_media_server/server/mymedia.py", line 898, in GET
return getdoc(feed.key, path, base_dir, range, config, collapse_collections).to_xml()
File "/home/tlunde/bin/test/roku_media_server/server/mymedia.py", line 555, in getdoc
for base, dirs, files in os.walk(path):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 284, in walk
if isdir(join(top, name)):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/posixpath.py", line 70, in join
path += '/' + b
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xf1 in position 47: ordinal not in range(128)

192.168.0.103:46601 - - [30/Jul/2011 09:17:40] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 500 Internal Server Error
[end clip - I did a control-C here to get out of it]

tlunde@pvr:~/bin/test/roku_media_server/server$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
tlunde@pvr:~/bin/test/roku_media_server/server$ python --version
Python 2.6.5
tlunde@pvr:~/bin/test/roku_media_server/server$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS \n \l
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

I had the side-loaded channel on two boxes, and installed the private code channel on a third, and got it all linked up. Is there a preferred process for adding the private channel on the old boxes? I wasn't sure, given the linking involved.
0 Kudos
renojim

"mikebdoss" wrote:
I had the side-loaded channel on two boxes, and installed the private code channel on a third, and got it all linked up. Is there a preferred process for adding the private channel on the old boxes? I wasn't sure, given the linking involved.

There's no preferred process other than once you install the private channel you can remove the side-loaded channel (browse to your Roku's IP address and you can delete it from there). The "linking" is just an automated way (that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) of getting the server's IP address to the channel. It's nice when the registration process works, but if your server's IP address never changes then it's really not necessary especially given that you've obviously been able to enter the information yourself in the past.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: non-ASCII filenames are causing me grief

"tlunde" wrote:
One of my video files has an accented character in the filename. When I try to look at the Videos section, the Roku halts with the error:
Server Problem
Communications with the server have been lost.

tlunde@pvr:~/bin/test/roku_media_server/server$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
tlunde@pvr:~/bin/test/roku_media_server/server$ python --version
Python 2.6.5
tlunde@pvr:~/bin/test/roku_media_server/server$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS \n \l

I remember having this problem when I installed MyMedia on my Dockstar. I was able to fix it by setting $LANG to en_US.UTF-8. Clearly, that's not the problem here. I fired up my Ubuntu virtual test machine and sure enough it won't handle accented characters. It's v10.04 as well. I tried doing a little research and it may be an issue with that version of Ubuntu. None of the fixes/hacks I found involving posixpath.py helped. I'm not enough of a Python or Linux expert to figure out where to go from here. If anyone has any suggestions I'm willing to listen.

If anyone is using MyMedia on an Ubuntu server could you try creating a file with accented characters in its name and seeing if it works?

-JT

0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

Desperatlly looking for my last psd for my images, else i will have to redraw them all (BOOO!) so i sent it to anyone please send it to
tdurrant420 at gmail dot com

Witmarquzot
0 Kudos
renojim

I wish I could help you. I was going to ask you if I could get the originals a while back. Smiley LOL You might also try sending out something to the google group.

-JT

0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

What do you mean by accented characters? I am running ubuntu and may be able to figure it out.

Also I am running 11.04 ubu

i will see if i can get duplicate results. What vm are you using?
0 Kudos
renojim

àáèê.m4v has been my test file and everything works with my Windows server and Plugbox Linux, but not with Ubuntu 10.04. I'm embarrassed to say this, but what do you mean by vm? Could it be Debian? (I told you I was no Linux expert :mrgreen: )

Oops! You're referring to my virtual Ubuntu machine, right? I'm using VirtualBox 3.2.4r62467. I had problems with v4.x, so I backed down to v3.2.

-JT

0 Kudos